Bug 15329 - Placement policy 'Remember'
Summary: Placement policy 'Remember'
Status: CONFIRMED
Alias: None
Product: kwin
Classification: Plasma
Component: general (show other bugs)
Version: unspecified
Platform: Mandrake RPMs Other
: VHI wishlist with 31 votes (vote)
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: KWin default assignee
URL:
Keywords: usability, wayland
: 18578 27969 28224 58771 79300 81463 85715 97718 121736 191375 192060 380799 384091 409338 409349 424162 424257 429361 433836 435357 435914 438599 450806 460498 (view as bug list)
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2000-11-14 13:48 UTC by abrahams
Modified: 2022-11-28 14:42 UTC (History)
45 users (show)

See Also:
Latest Commit:
Version Fixed In:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description kidcat7 2000-11-14 13:42:45 UTC
(*** This bug was imported into bugs.kde.org ***)

Package: kwin
Version: 2.0
Severity: wishlist
Installed from: Mandrake 7.2 RPM

I think that the placement policy should have en aditional feature called 'Remember'. M$-winslows has this feature and it is awfully nice... Especially when running at high resolutions it is nice that everything pops up in the same size on the same place. I know that other WM's has this feature so it should not be hard to implement ;)

(submitted via bugs.kde.org)
Comment 1 Lubos Lunak 2002-09-26 19:44:57 UTC
*** Bug 27969 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 2 Lubos Lunak 2002-10-01 12:18:19 UTC
*** Bug 18578 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 3 Lubos Lunak 2002-10-02 17:37:51 UTC
 See also bug #39946. 
 
Comment 4 Harijs Buss 2002-10-19 22:18:47 UTC
> Especially when running at high resolutions it is nice that everything pops up
in the same size on the same place.

Very strongly supported. There should be some way to define strict, unchangeable
by application itself position and size of initial window. All child windows
(optionally) should have the same size. Cascading windows should use the same
initial position incremented by some defineable steps (default values depending
of screen resolution). 

This feature will be valuable specially with business people. Take a look on
business people desktops: most of them want their mail app, text editor, browser
etc. exactly on positions they like, not everywhere decided by some optimization
algorithm. I know :-) I want myself all things on my 1600*1200 desktop to be on
their defined positions, because I am used to that order and do not want to
distract my attention seeking where the hell KMail opened this time and why it
is so small this morning - I need to resize it and bring back to its right place
anyway. Annoying. So to say we need hammer and nails to fix at least main KDE
apps in places they should be forever. Title option Save Settings _doesnt_ do
this, BTW. It too often forgets about place and size.

Comment 5 Lubos Lunak 2002-12-19 19:54:32 UTC
*** Bug 28224 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 6 Lubos Lunak 2003-05-22 15:45:16 UTC
*** Bug 58771 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 7 Sebastien 2003-10-27 13:04:04 UTC
- I agree : having theire windows alwayse at the same position is needed.
- And have a maximized flag is also good (especialy with the new interactive changing desktop resolution, or orientation... or simply by changing the kicker size).
- It's already doable but few programs, as OpenOffice, overwrite this behavor and I doesn't like : his window isn't maximized and it still few pixels !
- And also, at the moment, we must explicitly specifie which windows will keep theire geometry. But I want save geometrie of ALL windows : please add a mode to ALWAYSE remember windows properties by default.

What KWin III will change ?
Comment 8 Lubos Lunak 2004-04-09 23:21:22 UTC
*** Bug 79300 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 9 Lubos Lunak 2004-05-13 11:27:43 UTC
*** Bug 81463 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 10 Stephan Kulow 2004-05-17 20:11:09 UTC
Replaced kidcat7@hotmail.com with abrahams@acm.org due to bounces by reporter
Comment 11 Lubos Lunak 2005-01-25 12:52:22 UTC
*** Bug 85715 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 12 Lubos Lunak 2005-01-25 12:52:29 UTC
*** Bug 97718 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 13 Lubos Lunak 2005-01-25 12:53:42 UTC
NOTE TO SELF: Check all duplicates, especially the last two.
Comment 14 Harijs Buss 2005-02-09 12:53:52 UTC
Quoted from Jarne Cook, in description of Bug 97718:

"I see kwin now has the extreme advanced window settings dialog.  In there I can set each app to have it's size/pos remembered.  This is a nice feature but it's is very inconvenient.  To have to right click for every application is just overboard."

Agree. Not only one need to set each app to have it's size/pos remembered but in fact it's necessary for every _window_.  For exampe, I need to set RClick -> Advanced -> Store window settings for EACH WINDOW I use with Mozilla (and there usually are lot's of Mozilla windows on my desktop, and I don't like tabs, thank you). If I have used previously e.g. not more than 6 Mozilla windows and decide to open the seventh one, it will pop up in some hard to predict weird position and I will have to adjust it and set "Store window settings" for it individually. 

Well, this is better than not to have any position/size remembering at all (like it used to be some time ago), but nevertheless "overboard". 

In my humble opinion it would be much better if option "Remember" will refer to whole application and it's windows, by default according window placement policy.  For example, if I have set Placement as "Cascade" and set "Remember" with main application window, then additional windows should come up cascaded (if not set specifically with "Remember"). 

Harry,  
using KDE 3.2.3 coming with Mandrake 10.1 x86-64 Commercial. 
Comment 15 Wolfgang Sailer 2006-06-23 20:16:13 UTC
I strongly support this wish!
It drives me nuts to have a "economic" placement, because for ME economic means a window pops up, where I last closed it. This makes it "economic" for me to find the window.
"economic" is great, if you like it. Also, you can use an "economic" placement, if a window is opened for the first time.

"random" position is some odd feature. Who actually uses it?

PLEASE add a policy "remember". And make it remember different functions of konquerer (one placement and size for file browsing, one other for internet browsing...)
Comment 16 Stefan Borggraefe 2006-07-11 17:32:09 UTC
*** Bug 121736 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 17 Michael Stather 2006-07-11 18:02:32 UTC
Many apps already have the functionality to remember the window state, and some have the ability to remember the window position and size (like kdetv).
Perhaps a general framework for remembering those settings would be useful.
Comment 18 Al 2006-11-02 02:55:48 UTC
> I want to save the geometry of ALL windows: please add a option to ALWAYS remember windows properties by default. 
ACK!

I use Linux/KDE (2048x768) inside vmWare on a dual-screen host (2560x1024). So X & kdm don´t know about two screens and just realize the wide resolution. So windows open often in the middle of both screens or with 70% of the desktop-width what results in ultra-wide widgets. What would happen with a 4000px wide (virtual) desktop? The windows would spawn overweening wide - so they need to know their 'common size' (something between minimal size to show their content and size of one display) - or at least remember the users demand last time.

The 'smart' windowplacement of KDE 3.5 sometimes opens windows (preferred texteditors) with a size of about 50x50px in a far away corner, if the desktop is cluttered with windows. But two minutes ago I maximized the last application entity vertically and want the current the same.

The functionality of the already available window-specific behavior configuration is great for special demands, so keep it, but it´s not good as missing-default workaround.
(The names of the tabs (at least the german) for this configuration do not really reveal which window-identification is mandatory for a rule. The workflow steps don´t really open up.)

I just wanted to annotate that application-specific transparency-rules also fit this topic, but it´s already there! :)   Thank you, team!!

Beside the option 'remember application size and position when reopen' the smart placement (and sizing) would be much smarter if it could be defined that kde lives inside a dual-, tripple-, n-monitor configuration. 
Depending on this, another 'smart' placement-strategy would work: 
where to place new windows on screen: left screen, center, right screen, top, bottom, or the screen where mousepointer is on.

I have to note, that I haven´t tryed xinerama already.
Comment 19 Lubos Lunak 2006-11-06 12:54:22 UTC
If the host system is dual-head and the client system inside VMWare doesn't know about this, then I'd consider this to be a VMWare problem. You can use http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/fakexinerama/ to force a specific Xinerama setup.
Comment 20 usr 2008-12-05 02:26:54 UTC
KDE must remember positions and size for all apps, for better desktop experience.
It's very annoying to have to resize the applications each time they boot.

Yes, it can be done by hand with KWin, but this is something that KWin should know do by himself (like MS Windows, for example).
Comment 21 kioftes 2009-01-11 11:30:47 UTC
It is indeed something that should be fixed. Some apps (ex. adept) open in a ridiculously small window. It is very annoying and still there on kde 4.1.85
Comment 22 lucas 2009-05-03 04:48:56 UTC
*** Bug 191375 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 23 David Nemeskey 2010-12-07 08:15:14 UTC
Jesus, opened 10 years ago, 322 votes, and the bug is still here?!

Please, implement this feature. It is more relevant than ever with KDE4 and the plasma widgets. My notebook has an extra-wide screen, so I prefer to place a few plasmoids on the right hand side of the screen, and I don't want any windows to cover them. Unfortunately the "smart" (more like "dumb as hell") placement puts every window there (since there is already a window in the top left corner). Firefox remembers its position, but the KDE apps don't.
(On a side note, you could also modify how the "smart" placement works -- or just rename it to "corners".)

Remembering the size would also be nice, I hate how Adept always opens in such a small window.
Comment 24 Gokdeniz Karadag 2012-01-04 04:46:29 UTC
Searching for a solution for making window positions permanent, I found lots of instructions on "window rules". Some months, and some researchers later I find this bug and see it is open from 2000.

 - Is there an official choice/policy on NOT doing a "remember all window positions"? If so, these bugs should be closed as WONTFIS

 - Is there an implementation difficulty? If so, it would be very nice to hear this from developers. 

 - Is the only thing that we lack is manpower and developer interest ? The issue can be proposed in Summer of code, or a call-to-arms can be published on developer blogs to implement this highly wanted feature.
Comment 25 Thomas Lübking 2012-01-04 15:04:25 UTC
First off: it's Martins decision. I'll just share my personal opinion on this.

There seem three requests here
a) make kwin store all window positions
b) make kwin store all window dimensions
c) make kwin shrink it's placement area

Dealing (c) first - this feature does actually exist. It's called "struts". They can set by *any* client (including the desktop) and usually are by docks. They will also have the in the apparent context "nice" side-effect to constrain the maximization area.
To make that very clear (while I think I have on some plasma-desktop bug):

    IT IS NOT REQUIRED TO HAVE AN ACTUAL DOCK TO ADD A STRUT¹

The solution in the named usecase (which makes me wanna bash "Why do ppl. want to add important stuff to their desktop where it's covered by some windows anyway. What's the whole point of SuperKaramba") would be to have plasma-desktop to optionally add some virtual struts (== dead area from the screen edges) for it's plasmoids.

As a result
1) new windows would not be placed in that area
2) maximizing a window would not make it cover that area
3) moving a window across that are will require a "free" move (alt+lmb or specially featured by the decoration) resize but is still possible

----

Now regarding (a), that is to re/store all window positions: "Client job. Period."

1) 100% exact identification of a window is not possible for the WM as it is for the Clients

2) Braindead implementation approach.
The WM would have to keep a (fast growing) list of all windows to check _everytime_ a window is mapped. Taking every client window you once opened, every dialog and the fact that window properties (including even the classname by every frickin' minor version - ask firefox...) change "under the hood" ie. without any chance for the WM to know that this window will never show up again but is replaced by some other" or that we'd have to invoke the title for precise identification means that we're very soon talking about megabyte dimensions for that list. Meaning you can forget about the CPU cache. (That translates: "dog slow")
On the other hand, the client only needs to store only two numbers and in the beginning tell the WM "please place me here, thank you".

-> task for kdelibs/kmainwindow, but:

3) Very debatable functionality. The exact position is stored alongside and thus across sessions. Makes sense because it means you get the desktop you left.
Placing a window at the exact same position it had last time while the desktop may have completely changed in the meantime (you plasmoid setup, other windows, ...) doesn't sound "smart" at all but more like intrusive (the window might be placed right under the pointer leaving a click at an unintended target; it might cover other windows while there would have been plenty of space where it would not)

---

b) Shares points (1) and (2) with (a) but in general makes a lot of sense, why this is the default behavior of kdelibs/kmainwindow and even per screen size. (That is, when you closed a window @ 1774x1216 while your netbook was attached to your cinema display, it will still open at 1024x600, as it closed last time on the netbook display)

KWin provides the rules as workarounds for legacy or broken or whatever clients which do not provide this functionality, but for Implementing this as a general feature, see (a.2)

===> My personal conclusion:
* Clearly "WONTFIX" -at least not implemented in the WM-for (a)
* WORKSFORME for (b)
* (c) is misassigned. I admit to have no plasmoids on my desktop so i cannot judge on whether this makes sense, but it can and must be done by the client interested in restricting the placement area (plasma-desktop in the apparent case)

[1] Implementation detail:
Ok, kwin does a sanity check whether the requesting client is a dock. It's however ok to have an 1x1 offscreen dummy dock and make it add random struts.
Comment 26 Mac Danni 2012-01-18 05:08:00 UTC
Re. post #25

An interesting take on things (works for me) but doesn't solve the problem. 

Fact is that each app used here at present is not saving it's window size+position in a reproducible way.

Main windows, sub menus, dialogues, are all affected here in v 4.6.5 it's a ridiculous situation in 2012! Having pinhead sized "windows"...pop up for an application start-up.

Most especially perhaps when M$ has got this right from year 1998 at least.
Yeah, a rant, but I'd fix it if I could and not take an arrogant stance (Martin) that helps nobody.
Comment 27 Martin Flöser 2012-01-18 05:28:31 UTC
> Main windows, sub menus, dialogues, are all affected here in v 4.6.5 it's a
> ridiculous situation in 2012! Having pinhead sized "windows"...pop up for an
> application start-up.
it might be possible to use the JavaScript bindings for it. Just use a huge 
map with the positions of your windows and listen to Client added. It can fix 
your problem, but is nothing to go into the window manager itself.
> 
> Most especially perhaps when M$ has got this right from year 1998 at least.
There is nothing wrong with using Microsoft Windows if it suits your needs 
better. Unfortunately it doesn't make any sense to point out that Windows 
supports this as that doesn't fix problems. Mircosoft is in the lucky 
situation of controling the complete Windowing System. We rely on what X 
provides.
> Yeah, a rant, but I'd fix it if I could and not take an arrogant stance
> (Martin) that helps nobody.
Calling people arrogant in a bug report makes it very likely that they will 
start implementing your desired features.
Comment 28 Thomas Lübking 2012-01-18 05:55:18 UTC
Not sure, but since Martin hasn't commented on this at all so far, I must assume that you accuse me of an "arrogant stance"?

Fact #1
Microsoft has actually nothing. There's nothing such as a WM on Windows but applications handle their window management pretty much themselves. For at least the dimensions that means they (those which actually do, what's NO WAY the general case) store them in their registry group and restore them on re-launch...

Fact #2
... what is -as mentioned- pretty much the same as (nearly) all KDE applications do. If they do not for you (you didn't specify what applications pop up "pinhead sized") that is clearly a bug, but likely a local one (sorry) like insufficient access permissions an (ivalid, would be bug - yes) major strutting. You should name those clients and then start to investigate why they do as you observe, for this is NOT the behaviour on any system i've ever been in touch with why the "works for me" statement is not arrogant but simply reality.

Fact #3
I not a single client tries to always restore it's former *position* (what is especially defined by the ICCCM spec and generally honored by kwin, except for explicit rule overrides) that means that either *all* application delevopers, DE engineers and HIG experts are arrogant or stupid - or no one is.
I'll happily read your paper to lay out why this would be a generally resonable behaviour.

Fact #4
I have no idea what you take as "sub menus" but ("popup-")menus
a) are not handled by the window manager at all
b) (dynamically) calculate their dimensions to fit the content
c) are (dynamically) placed (by the application) related towards their parenting items
d) are neither resizable nor movable by users at all.

esp. if (b) should NOT hold for you, that would mean that for some reason every application on your destop thinks that you've an unreasonably tiny workspace (but it would also mean that you couldn't "maximize" them any bigger)
Comment 29 Mac Danni 2012-01-18 05:57:41 UTC
Thanks for the response and I owe you an apology, therefore I apologize.

I had just read something from you in another medium and it was rather blunt but I realize now that English may not be your first language. also I'd just resized a Firefox window for the umpteenth time.

As a strong advocate of Linux, KDE, FSF etc. and an 'assistant' to more than a few senior citizens it really irks when stuff like this "window forgetting" happens. Try as I might I cannot honestly defend a criticism that follows these or similar events. No Microsoft products in use here as they don't suit me. :)
Comment 30 Mac Danni 2012-01-18 06:38:51 UTC
(In reply to comment #28)
> Not sure, but since Martin hasn't commented on this at all so far, I must
> assume that you accuse me of an "arrogant stance"?

Sorry for the misunderstanding, it was a blunt statement made on the subject (attributed to Martin) that upset a few people.

> Fact #1

Thanks
 
> Fact #2
> ... what is -as mentioned- pretty much the same as (nearly) all KDE
> applications do. If they do not for you (you didn't specify what applications
> pop up "pinhead sized") that is clearly a bug, but likely a local one (sorry)
> like insufficient access permissions an (ivalid, would be bug - yes) major
> strutting. You should name those clients and then start to investigate why they
> do as you observe, for this is NOT the behaviour on any system i've ever been
> in touch with why the "works for me" statement is not arrogant but simply
> reality.

Ok thanks, in short almost any GUI type that I've used appears to do this. A clue for me might be that KDE 3.5, 4.5, held the settings and 4.6.5 doesn't.
 
> Fact #3
> I not a single client tries to always restore it's former *position* (what is
> especially defined by the ICCCM spec and generally honored by kwin, except for
> explicit rule overrides) that means that either *all* application delevopers,
> DE engineers and HIG experts are arrogant or stupid - or no one is.
> I'll happily read your paper to lay out why this would be a generally >resonable behaviour.

Fair enough, I don't expect to be writing that paper any time soon.

> Fact #4
> I have no idea what you take as "sub menus" but ("popup-")menus
> a) are not handled by the window manager at all

Not clearly stated by me, sorry, "popping-up" could have been said as 'appearing' and refers to any of the windows listed in the "Advanced> Special Window Settings> Window Extra area.

> b) (dynamically) calculate their dimensions to fit the content
> c) are (dynamically) placed (by the application) related towards their
> parenting items
> d) are neither resizable nor movable by users at all.
> 
> esp. if (b) should NOT hold for you, that would mean that for some reason every
> application on your destop thinks that you've an unreasonably tiny workspace
> (but it would also mean that you couldn't "maximize" them any bigger)

Of course what you say makes good sense and I don't know why the effect is experienced but as far as I can tell permissions are fine and as previously mentioned this behavior was almost totally absent in earlier KDE incarnations. It is certainly very bothersome though in my 4.6.5 version.

Re. Workspace, my idea of clutter might not accord with another person's and I might be content to have windows layer upon layer in a single desktop and switch between them. < (just for illustration, I don't do this)

That's okay for me in that instance but unless I'm missing the point does the allocation strategy say in effect, "sorry but this next window is going to be pinhead sized because we have no space available?"

The odd behavior is there in any case even with a single application on an otherwise sparsely populated screen. Just a single instance of Dolphin for example. Opens perfectly first time around, a re-size operation is done and then when opened again as a single app it's squashed up into 'pos 0,0' and so tiny as to be almost unrecognizable.
Comment 31 Martin Flöser 2012-01-18 07:15:12 UTC
> (In reply to comment #28)
>> Not sure, but since Martin hasn't commented on this at all so far, I 
>> must
>> assume that you accuse me of an "arrogant stance"?
>
> Sorry for the misunderstanding, it was a blunt statement made on the 
> subject
> (attributed to Martin) that upset a few people.
Now I am surprised that you attribute statements to developers who have 
not yet commented on the bug. But anyway I would like to know to which 
statement you refer which upset a few people. I am not a native speaker 
so I need to know which statements were bad phrased to not repeat the 
mistakes. Feel free to send the reply privately to keep this bugtracker 
clean.
Comment 32 Mac Danni 2012-01-18 07:37:09 UTC
> Now I am surprised that you attribute statements to developers who have 
> not yet commented on the bug. But anyway I would like to know to which 
> statement you refer which upset a few people. I am not a native speaker 
> so I need to know which statements were bad phrased to not repeat the 
> mistakes. Feel free to send the reply privately to keep this bugtracker 
> clean.

OK I'll send you the information privately.

Thank you for all that you do development-wise, and I will not add any more noise to bugtracker.

I can see that a few other writers have stated the "pos,size" difficulty in a more lucid way and it's clearly a problem that could do with a better answer than the one we currently have.
Comment 33 Thomas Lübking 2012-01-18 16:24:13 UTC
(In reply to comment #30)
> Sorry for the misunderstanding, it was a blunt statement made on the subject
> (attributed to Martin) that upset a few people.
Ok, I guess you just got why ppl. often write: DO NOT CROSSPOST! ;-)

> Ok thanks, in short almost any GUI type that I've used appears to do this. A
> clue for me might be that KDE 3.5, 4.5, held the settings and 4.6.5 doesn't.
If it covers Dolphin, Kwrite, Firefox, Gimp and LibreOffice there's indeed a general (window- or filesystem) issue because they would all work differently in this regard.

-> Did you add any rules to kwin ("kcmshell4 kwinrules", It's general access to "Special Window Settings" management)
==> (esp. if one of them is a "blind" rule matching all windows) please attach your ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrulesrc (the rules are very powerful and *do* allow you to shoot yourself and break your desktop)
-> Do you use multiple (plasma-desktop) activities? (their introduction broke nearly all "remember" rules - see bug #264981

> That's okay for me in that instance but unless I'm missing the point does the
> allocation strategy say in effect, "sorry but this next window is going to be
> pinhead sized because we have no space available?"

NO!
The WM ensures reasonable bounds (ie. not bigger than the workspace and not smaller than the titlebar requires) but that's it.

If the windows are *all* very small that is either
a) because they set this size
b) because a KWin rule explicitly forces them to this size
c) because the workspace is (virtually) restricted to this size (that's why i asked for maximization behavior)

> The odd behavior is [...] Opens perfectly first time around, a re-size operation is 
> done and then when opened again as a single app it's squashed up into 'pos 0,0'

-> Sounds like conflicting remember rules are set up.
Please attach kwinrulesrc as well as the dolphirc (you can strip the latter one from stuff like last path and whatever private information might be stored there - only the mainwindow sections and everything that starts by width/height is relevant)
Comment 34 Mac Danni 2012-01-19 20:25:45 UTC
Thomas Lübking  wrote:
> https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15329
>
> If it covers Dolphin, Kwrite, Firefox, Gimp and LibreOffice there's indeed a
> general (window- or filesystem) issue because they would all work differently
> in this regard.
<snipped>

Thanks indeed for the pointers and info!
I'll make some time to get on to this as soon as I can.

Regards
Mac
Comment 35 Martin Flöser 2012-03-10 15:23:03 UTC
I am setting this feature request to WONTFIX as it is not possible to implement such a remember policy with our currently used windowing system. Recognizing a window is a non trivial issue. This might become solvable with Wayland but in general remembering cannot be implemented by a window manager or a windowing system, but has to be requested by the clients.

Given that the feature request has been opened more than 10 years ago I consider it as the most honest thing we can do to finally close the request instead of keeping it open in the hope that someday the technical requirements will be available.

I want to thank everybody who commented on this report in order to make KDE suit his needs better. This is of course highly appreciated. I am sorry that we have to close this request and cannot present an implementation.
Comment 36 Thomas Lübking 2012-03-14 22:38:57 UTC
*** Bug 192060 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 37 Nate Graham 2019-08-28 15:26:48 UTC
*** Bug 380799 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 38 Nate Graham 2019-08-28 15:26:56 UTC
*** Bug 384091 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 39 Nate Graham 2019-08-28 15:31:09 UTC
*** Bug 409349 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 40 Nate Graham 2019-08-28 15:31:10 UTC
*** Bug 409338 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 41 Nate Graham 2019-08-28 15:34:59 UTC
Re-opening because a similar bug I filed remained open (Bug 79300).

Based on the list of duplicates and votes, It's clear that this is a very highly desired feature by our users and I think we ought to put some effort into trying to make it happen.
Comment 42 Martin Flöser 2019-08-28 20:11:17 UTC
Sorry, but this is not possible to implement for a window manager. We lack information to identify that a window is the same as previous window. Please see Thomas's comments on that. As Thomas states this is clearly a client job and we can only do something in frameworks for KDE applications.

On Wayland we lack the same information and I don't see a possibility to add a spec adding the required functionality as it requires each and every application to change. Even Qt API doesn't provide anything to specify the required functionality.
Comment 43 Nate Graham 2020-07-13 18:11:40 UTC
*** Bug 424162 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 44 Nate Graham 2020-07-13 18:13:15 UTC
Talked to the current KWin developers and they indicated that this is quite feasible on Wayland once https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-protocols/-/merge_requests/18 lands upstream.
Comment 45 David Edmundson 2020-07-13 19:35:12 UTC
Just to set expectations it's when that lands upstream, and we implement it and every client also implements what is relevant.
Comment 46 Unknown 2020-07-13 21:59:05 UTC
(In reply to Nate Graham from comment #44)
> Talked to the current KWin developers and they indicated that this is quite
> feasible on Wayland once
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-protocols/-/merge_requests/18
> lands upstream.

Not everyone can use Wayland. For example i cannot because i have an nvidia gpu. No feature should be exclusive to X11 or Waypand.
Comment 47 Nate Graham 2020-07-13 22:15:26 UTC
I'd also like this on X11, but it seems almost impossible to do, after talking with several KWin developers about it in detail. And NVIDIA GPUs are now supported on Wayland, FWIW.
Comment 48 Unknown 2020-07-15 01:17:09 UTC
(In reply to Nate Graham from comment #47)
> I'd also like this on X11, but it seems almost impossible to do, after
> talking with several KWin developers about it in detail. And NVIDIA GPUs are
> now supported on Wayland, FWIW.

Well, Gnome somehow does it, i have been using it for some time and it keeps the position and size of 99% of software i ever ran. Even most games ran through Proton.
Comment 49 Unknown 2020-07-15 17:47:06 UTC
(In reply to Nate Graham from comment #47)
> I'd also like this on X11, but it seems almost impossible to do, after
> talking with several KWin developers about it in detail. And NVIDIA GPUs are
> now supported on Wayland, FWIW.

Also KDE can currently remember the posotion of windows by adding a window rule. But it has to be done for every program manually and thats unacceptable. But it proves it is curreltly possible. We should get an option to remember all window positions and sizes and be able to add window rules AS AN EXCEPTION to that.
Comment 50 Unknown 2020-07-15 20:36:04 UTC
*** Bug 424257 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 51 Nate Graham 2020-07-16 02:27:51 UTC
(In reply to qik00yt from comment #48)
> Well, Gnome somehow does it, i have been using it for some time and it keeps
> the position and size of 99% of software i ever ran. Even most games ran
> through Proton.
The last time I tried GNOME, window positions were not remembered. Maybe they implemented this since then, or maybe they made GTK itself remember window positions, which would provide the illusion that their window manager Mutter is doing it, even though it's not.

Would you be able to investigate a bit to see which approach they took?
Comment 52 Vlad Zahorodnii 2020-07-16 06:22:44 UTC
(In reply to qik00yt from comment #46)
> Not everyone can use Wayland. For example i cannot because i have an nvidia
> gpu. No feature should be exclusive to X11 or Waypand.
I'm afraid that we don't have enough information on X11.
Comment 53 Vlad Zahorodnii 2020-07-16 06:25:32 UTC
Meh, I'm still not fully awake. The problem is that we don't have enough information on X11 to identify windows and thus place them at their previous position.
Comment 54 Wolfgang Sailer 2020-07-16 09:42:26 UTC
Here we are, 20 years after the reporting of this bug/feature request/wish (which wasn't even the first report), and not that much happened. Monitors bacame 5-10x bigger in pixel count and windows popping up in unexpected places are progressively harder to find, but hey?

I now could at length post one or antother episode from my life that happened during those 20 years, but - to sum it up - time progressed for me, I can't really afford to wait another 20 years to get this sorted out (via kwin, X11 or wayland), so, folks, lets be realistic, let's just close this bug 15329, collectively forget about it - it's not gonna happen, nobody capable of coding really cares about it enough - and just happily move on.

If we're really passionate about it, we could come back in 20 years, take a look at bug 15329 and tell our children or grand-children a nice little episode from our lives about the nightmare of crazily positioned windows in KDE and how we eventually learned to live with it.

I bid you a very warm farewell,
live long and prosper
Wolfi
Comment 55 Christoph Feck 2020-07-16 14:04:02 UTC
Please learn to code before attacking those who can. Only then you will understand how hard it is. If I misunderstood your comment, and you are indeed able to code, why not suggest a patch?
Comment 56 David Nemeskey 2020-07-16 14:38:51 UTC
Christoph: that's a fallacy; you don't have to be a cook to recognize badly prepared food.

This issue has been open for 20 years; I added myself to the CC list 10 years ago, when I was still using KDE. So even if it is a difficult problem, KDE has had all the time in the world to fix it.

Incidentally, on Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, some apps remember their size, some remember their position as well, while others open in the middle of the screen in a default size. It was probably the same for Gnome back in 2009 before I switched to KDE. It's nowhere near optimal, but it shows that the information is  (was) there.

You might be right in saying that this is not a KWin issue, but should be handled in KDE core or wherever. Rest assured, that's completely fine with us, as long as this feature gets implemented somewhere. People using KDE probably mostly use K* apps anyway (with the exception of browsers and Libre Office, which remember their positions).
Comment 57 Christoph Feck 2020-07-16 15:16:31 UTC
This isn't about recognizing the issue, but solving it.
Comment 58 Nate Graham 2020-07-16 15:19:44 UTC
(In reply to David Nemeskey from comment #56)
> Incidentally, on Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, some apps remember their size,
> some remember their position as well, while others open in the middle of the
> screen in a default size. It was probably the same for Gnome back in 2009
> before I switched to KDE. It's nowhere near optimal, but it shows that the
> information is  (was) there.
In fact, what you describe is the *lack* of this feature: if the window manager handled remembering window sizes and positions, then no window would ever fail to remember its size or position. But because the window manager does not, it's up to each app (or each toolkit that apps are built with) to implement the feature on its own, which is why it works for some apps but not others.

We all want this feature, it's about figuring out how to do it. If it was easy, it would have been done ages ago.
Comment 59 Unknown 2020-07-16 19:06:38 UTC
(In reply to Nate Graham from comment #58)
> (In reply to David Nemeskey from comment #56)
> > Incidentally, on Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, some apps remember their size,
> > some remember their position as well, while others open in the middle of the
> > screen in a default size. It was probably the same for Gnome back in 2009
> > before I switched to KDE. It's nowhere near optimal, but it shows that the
> > information is  (was) there.
> In fact, what you describe is the *lack* of this feature: if the window
> manager handled remembering window sizes and positions, then no window would
> ever fail to remember its size or position. But because the window manager
> does not, it's up to each app (or each toolkit that apps are built with) to
> implement the feature on its own, which is why it works for some apps but
> not others.
> 
> We all want this feature, it's about figuring out how to do it. If it was
> easy, it would have been done ages ago.


> But because the window manager
> does not

Why ? Is there a reason it cant ?
Comment 60 David Nemeskey 2020-07-16 19:41:06 UTC
(In reply to Nate Graham from comment #58)
> (In reply to David Nemeskey from comment #56)
> > Incidentally, on Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, some apps remember their size,
> > some remember their position as well, while others open in the middle of the
> > screen in a default size. It was probably the same for Gnome back in 2009
> > before I switched to KDE. It's nowhere near optimal, but it shows that the
> > information is  (was) there.
> In fact, what you describe is the *lack* of this feature:

I wanted to point out three things in my comment, but apparently managed to mix them up.

1. Yes, what I described is the lack of the feature in the Gnome / Cinnamon ecosystem as a whole. However, at least some applications (and key applications like Terminal, Synaptic, etc.) do it, which makes it a much more acceptable experience than in KDE (speaking from memory here, but the issue is still open, so...)
2. The fact that some applications do it means it is possible, and was possible even with X11.
3. While this issue was opened against KWin, we users don't care where the solution will land. If it can only be done on the toolkit level (which is probably better than forcing each app/developer to implement it separately), so be it.
Comment 61 Nate Graham 2020-07-16 20:27:06 UTC
(In reply to qik00yt from comment #59)
> > But because the window manager
> > does not
> 
> Why ? Is there a reason it cant ?
That's what's being discussed by various developers in the comment thread of this bug report. :) There are a variety of technical challenges to making work on both X11 and Wayland. On X11, the challenges relate to various mismatches between what X11 provides the window manager and what the window manager needs. On Wayland, it're more about needed functionality not having been merged into a protocol yet.

Again, if it were easy, it would already be done. :)
Comment 62 Nate Graham 2020-07-16 20:30:13 UTC
(In reply to David Nemeskey from comment #60)
> 1. Yes, what I described is the lack of the feature in the Gnome / Cinnamon
> ecosystem as a whole. However, at least some applications (and key
> applications like Terminal, Synaptic, etc.) do it, which makes it a much
> more acceptable experience than in KDE (speaking from memory here, but the
> issue is still open, so...)
For sure. Similar,y, some KDE applications already support this individually, such as Discover and Elisa.

> 2. The fact that some applications do it means it is possible, and was
> possible even with X11.
X11 limitations don't come into play when the app itself does it.

> 3. While this issue was opened against KWin, we users don't care where the
> solution will land. If it can only be done on the toolkit level (which is
> probably better than forcing each app/developer to implement it separately),
> so be it.
Indeed, that's exactly what Bug 415150 is tracking: having our app framework provide the feature automatically for all KDE apps, in the absence of the window manager doing it automatically.

Of course time is limited, and here I am responding to comments in a bug report instead of writing code. ;)
Comment 63 Unknown 2020-07-17 14:13:25 UTC
(In reply to Nate Graham from comment #62)
> (In reply to David Nemeskey from comment #60)
> > 1. Yes, what I described is the lack of the feature in the Gnome / Cinnamon
> > ecosystem as a whole. However, at least some applications (and key
> > applications like Terminal, Synaptic, etc.) do it, which makes it a much
> > more acceptable experience than in KDE (speaking from memory here, but the
> > issue is still open, so...)
> For sure. Similar,y, some KDE applications already support this
> individually, such as Discover and Elisa.
> 
> > 2. The fact that some applications do it means it is possible, and was
> > possible even with X11.
> X11 limitations don't come into play when the app itself does it.
> 
> > 3. While this issue was opened against KWin, we users don't care where the
> > solution will land. If it can only be done on the toolkit level (which is
> > probably better than forcing each app/developer to implement it separately),
> > so be it.
> Indeed, that's exactly what Bug 415150 is tracking: having our app framework
> provide the feature automatically for all KDE apps, in the absence of the
> window manager doing it automatically.
> 
> Of course time is limited, and here I am responding to comments in a bug
> report instead of writing code. ;)

On my PC even Dolphin, not to mention Discover and Elisa do not remember the last size and placement. But they do on my laptop somehow, despite the configs being IDENTICAL
Comment 64 Nate Graham 2020-08-20 17:00:48 UTC
This is in progress on Wayland! See https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwayland-server/-/merge_requests/69 and https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/178

On X11, I just merged a limited version for only KDE apps' main windows, which is the best we can do there. See bug 415150.
Comment 65 Nate Graham 2020-11-19 20:37:44 UTC
*** Bug 429361 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 66 Davy Bartoloni 2020-12-07 09:31:27 UTC
Seems that KDE apps ported to Windows are affected by a corruption of the config file ( a lot of "\" characters on the configuration file) and this is placing the main app window on a strange position (with a strange size)

this is an example of a line: 

from this: 
Height 1080=900

to this:
\\\\.\\DISPLAY1 \\\\.\\DISPLAY2 Height 1080=900
Comment 67 Nate Graham 2020-12-07 15:21:08 UTC
That's not related to this issue and is already tracked with Bug 429943.
Comment 68 Nate Graham 2021-03-02 19:03:25 UTC
*** Bug 433836 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 69 Nate Graham 2021-04-05 00:36:40 UTC
*** Bug 435357 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 70 Nate Graham 2021-04-21 19:51:33 UTC
*** Bug 435914 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 71 Patrick Silva 2021-06-14 13:41:03 UTC
*** Bug 438599 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 72 PK 2021-08-02 09:14:16 UTC
I would very much love it when the window placement policy of Plasma got a little less jumpy. But if that is very hard to achieve (also under Wayland) I would like to make a suggestion:
only very recent I discovered that once you close an application in ms windows (10) using the window control "x" while at the same time pressing the Shift-key, it will from then on remember the size and position of that specific window.
I find that quite practical. That could be a temporary solution.
Comment 73 PK 2021-08-03 04:23:06 UTC
Or, to take my thought in the previous comment (72) a little further: perhaps there could be a preference "remember window size and position" that made kwin automatically save a "window rule" when an app is closed.
And in this "window rule" size and position were to be saved.
That way the user wouldn't have to bother about the shortcut Shift-close.
Comment 74 Nate Graham 2022-03-20 14:20:58 UTC
*** Bug 450806 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 75 Patrick Silva 2022-10-15 20:00:26 UTC
*** Bug 460498 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 76 Wolfgang Sailer 2022-11-17 20:28:57 UTC
all right, we've just crossed the 22-year line on this bug.
I'm out.
;-)
Comment 77 BingMyBong 2022-11-28 14:39:28 UTC
Never had an issue with this under X and nouveau but have it now using Wayland with radeon