Created attachment 143682 [details]
This single PDF file contains both annotations created/edited by Okular and Xodo. They are rendered incorrectly in Okular, but can be rendered in Xodo correctly.
NOTE: If you are reporting a crash, please try to attach a backtrace with debug symbols.
(1.) In Typewriter input box, non-Latin characters can be entered though, but will not be rendered in document. Cyrillic alphabets and Japanese Kanji & Hiragana are all disappeared:
(2.) Even though set font with `Noto Sans CJK JP` (Which should include Latin, Cyrillic, Greek, Japanese Kanji+Hiragana+Katakana), the characters still cannot be showed:
(3.) The more interesting is, open the annotated file with another PDF reader (Xodo for Android), the annotation created by Okular can be read & rendered correctly:
(4.) The most interesting is, if:
(a) Create text annotation with some other proprietary PDF reader (for example, Xodo PDF Reader). **OR**
(b) Process the Okular-annotated *.pdf file with `pdftk` (for example: `pdftk okular-annotated.pdf cat 1 output pdftk-processed-okular-annotated.pdf`)
The non-Latin text annotations are visible in Okular.
STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1. Alt+5 to use Typewriter to create a text annotation.
2. Enter Latin & non-Latin characters into Typewriter.
3. The non-Latin characters will become invisible.
4. Save file.
(In Xodo PDF Reader)
5. Open the Okular-saved-file with Xodo PDF Reader,
(a) Create any text annotation, **OR**
(b) Edit the existed Typewriter annotations created by Okular
6. Save file.
7. Open the Xodo-saved-file with Okular, the non-Latin annotations are rendered CORRECTLY.
8. HOWEVER, if modifying these correct annotations via Okular, the non-Latin characters will become invisible again...
I tested with Xodo and `pdftk`, as long as the PDF files containing Okular-created annotations are saved by them, all non-Latin characters are all rendered correctly.
Okular can **create or edit** Typewriter annotation & display all non-Latin characters.
- Okular version: `21.08.2`
- Linux/KDE Plasma: Manjaro (rolling upgrade distro),
- KDE Plasma Version: `5.22.5`
- KDE Frameworks Version: `5.87.0`
- Qt Version: `5.15.2`
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 305534 ***