with offline updates the user can easily grow tired of updates and the reboots they entail.
specifically right now the following scenario can very easily present to the user:
- discover shouts at user about updates
- user updates
- discover shouts at user about reboot
- user reboots
- discover shouts at user about updates that have arrived since
to reduce the noise we really should:
- notify regular (non security updates) no more than once a week
- notify security updates no more than once a day
- in discover's drawer highlight updates in a more muted color when they haven't been notified on
- maybe on the update page mention why the available updates haven't been notified on and explain to the user that we'll inform them when its time to update their system again
(the actual time at which the notification appears should be scattered. e.g. based on an md5() over the /etc/machien-id? so as to not drown the servers in synchronized update loads)
The update frequency seems like optimally it would be controlled by the distro. If you're a rolling release distro user, you want updates as soon as they come in, no? I think this mostly pertains to Neon where it's annoying for offline updates. Perhaps there should be a way for Neon to tell Discover to only check less frequently.
See also Bug 416193.
Maybe a way to look at it, is that when you have offline updates, you don't need to know that there are updates that soon into the process.
Also figuring out a path how to issue an unattended update when shutting down would be grand.
It occurred to me that this could actually be a general setting in the KCM as well, so the user can set a polling interval different from what the distro thinks it should be. As the polling problem extends to all update operation modes anyway TBH.
Say I am on neon and neon sets a weekly interval. That may be too long or still too short depending on what I'm after.
- I could opt into online updates and then want a daily interval to stay at the very edge of development
- I could stay with offline updates but increase the interval to fortnightly because weekly updates are still too annoying
- I could opt into unattended updates but decide that weekly updates are lovely
e.g. this is what ubuntu has https://i.stack.imgur.com/mo9Vw.png I kind of recall that one of the options even is "download and install automatically" at least of security updates.
Git commit 84765ba653d6986de30cdb2601bf8c91db3c1a98 by Aleix Pol i Gonzalez.
Committed on 24/08/2022 at 14:03.
Pushed by apol into branch 'master'.
Notifier: don't show update notifications too often
Related: bug 416193
M +4 -0 kcm/updatessettings.kcfg
M +14 -1 notifier/DiscoverNotifier.cpp