Bug 414501 - Cannot type accented characters (í, ã, etc) in any text fields in QML KCMs embedded in QWidgets view (works in the sidebar's text field)
Summary: Cannot type accented characters (í, ã, etc) in any text fields in QML KCMs em...
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: systemsettings
Classification: Unclassified
Component: general (show other bugs)
Version: 5.17.3
Platform: Manjaro Linux
: VHI major (vote)
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Plasma Bugs List
URL:
Keywords:
: 416920 421888 427565 (view as bug list)
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2019-11-25 16:43 UTC by Petros
Modified: 2021-03-26 03:53 UTC (History)
8 users (show)

See Also:
Latest Commit:
Version Fixed In:


Attachments
run with `qmlscene test.qml` (103 bytes, text/x-qml)
2020-01-21 13:36 UTC, Vlad Zahorodnii
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Petros 2019-11-25 16:43:00 UTC
SUMMARY
In System Settings => Desktop Behavior => Desktop Effects, when entering an accented Greek character, it is always showed/transformed(?) to the non-accented equivalent. For example:
 ό => ο, ά => α, Ό => Ο etc...

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1. Start System Settings => Desktop Behavior => Desktop Effects
2. Move focus to the Search Filter box/area
3. Enter any accented character pressing the key combination

OBSERVED RESULT
The equivalent non-accented character is produced in the filter area.

EXPECTED RESULT
The accented character is produced in the filter area.

SOFTWARE/OS VERSIONS
Linux/KDE Plasma: Manjaro Testing 
(available in About System)
KDE Plasma Version: 5.17.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.64.0
Qt Version: 5.13.2

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
I only tested with Greek Language characters.

Filtering is applied properly, for the ... produced characters. I could not get to a target word that included an accented character. 

I tested more "filter" areas in System Settings and on kRunner and there was no such problem.

IMHO at least for the Greek language, when using a search filter, a non-accented character "should" find the accented characters as well as the non-accented.
Comment 1 Vlad Zahorodnii 2020-01-21 13:36:24 UTC
Created attachment 125280 [details]
run with `qmlscene test.qml`

Can you run the attached "app" and check whether you're able to type in accented Greek characters there?
Comment 2 Petros 2020-01-25 00:28:55 UTC
(In reply to Vlad Zahorodnii from comment #1)
> Created attachment 125280 [details]
> run with `qmlscene test.qml`
> 
> Can you run the attached "app" and check whether you're able to type in
> accented Greek characters there?

I did and I succeeded writing accented Greek chars as expected.

My system has changed (to Arch) but the issue still exists. Also happened occasionally in the SystemSettings main filter textbox, but randomly, which is frustrating...

Current KDE info:
Operating System: Arch Linux 
KDE Plasma Version: 5.17.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.66.0
Qt Version: 5.14.0
Kernel Version: 4.19.96-1-lts
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i3 CPU M 380 @ 2.53GHz
Memory: 7,5 GiB
Comment 3 Nate Graham 2020-01-31 20:03:22 UTC
*** Bug 416920 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 4 Nate Graham 2020-01-31 20:06:39 UTC
This seems to affect all QML KCMs. It's reproducible regardless of whether the KCM is opened in System Settings or KCMshell.
Comment 5 Patrick Silva 2020-05-22 17:24:18 UTC
*** Bug 421888 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 6 Nate Graham 2020-10-12 22:29:19 UTC
*** Bug 427565 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 7 Nate Graham 2021-03-25 21:04:29 UTC
*** Bug 434949 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 8 Petros 2021-03-25 22:28:56 UTC
This has been fixed for me.

Operating System: Arch Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.21.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.80.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.10.25-1-lts
OS Type: 64-bit
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 × AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx
Memory: 6.8 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics
Comment 9 Nate Graham 2021-03-26 03:53:43 UTC
I also cannot reproduce the issue any longer in Plasma 5.21. Looks like this got fixed. Hooray!