The latest version of Kmail2 5.4.0 tries to use my squid proxy server to retrieve email, which of course fails because squid cannot handle imaps/pop3s protocols. I can see this in my squid logs which has entries like " ... TCP_DENIED/403 3853 CONNECT imap.gmail.com:993 - HIER_NONE/- text/html". So I specifically added imap.gmail.com to the exception list in the NO_PROXY environment variable. Now Kmail merely hangs in offline mode and can never comment to the any mail server I specify. Just to clear, I can connect to the mail servers using webmail (e.g. via firefox).
Earlier versions of kmail did not exhibit this behaviour. They would not use to use the proxy settings for konqueror and simply bypassed the proxy server. I noticed that another mail client (geary) also has the habit of using the proxy environments, but it then behaves well if the exceptions are set. Kmail does not.
My kde components are mainly compiled from source under OpenSUSE 42.2. The versions are:
- kmail2 5.4.0 from kmail-16.12.0
- Plasma 5.8.4
- Frameworks 5.28.0
Same behavior at me.
Confirmed with current Git master.
Suspect same root cause as bug 379539.
I have changed to kmail version 5.7.1 (KDE 17.12.1) and the problem persists. I think the following error messages might point to the source of the problem:
kf5.kio.core: Refilling KProtocolInfoFactory cache in the hope to find "smtp"
org.kde.pim.mailtransport: Transport with this ID not managed by transport manager.
I figured out that kmail uses the proxy server to reach SMTP servers, and mine (squid) was blocking this from going through. So I had to add a whitelist of servers to the squid configuration: e.g.
http_access allow whitelist
http_access allow CONNECT whitelist
where whitelist is the acl for the servers. This might be potentially risky, but it is the only workaround I could find.
Fixed by https://phabricator.kde.org/D10317 and https://phabricator.kde.org/D10318 for POP3. Needs to be investigated for IMAP.
Superseeded by the current releases.
I still have this issue for kmail 5.10.2 (Fedora 30), with imap protocol. After a lot of tests, it seems kmail gets http_proxy variable value from environment and use it for imap connections.
(In reply to Marlos from comment #6)
> I still have this issue for kmail 5.10.2 (Fedora 30), with imap protocol.
> After a lot of tests, it seems kmail gets http_proxy variable value from
> environment and use it for imap connections.
There is another bug report about this, and a fix has been proposed.
(In reply to Wolfgang Bauer from comment #7)
> and a fix has been proposed.
Sorry, not yet it seems.
Reviews submitted, see bug 407685.
Fix now complete for POP3, SMTP and IMAP.