Bug 167547 - Bad display of utf-8 characters
Summary: Bad display of utf-8 characters
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: kio
Classification: Frameworks and Libraries
Component: fish (show other bugs)
Version: unspecified
Platform: Ubuntu Linux
: NOR normal
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Jörg Walter
URL:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2008-07-27 21:50 UTC by Dotan Cohen
Modified: 2008-11-28 21:17 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Latest Commit:
Version Fixed In:
Sentry Crash Report:


Attachments
Screenshot illustrating problem (14.93 KB, image/png)
2008-07-27 21:50 UTC, Dotan Cohen
Details
Screenshot showing Konqueror SSHing into localhost (81.34 KB, image/png)
2008-11-10 19:32 UTC, Dotan Cohen
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Dotan Cohen 2008-07-27 21:50:40 UTC
Version:            (using KDE 4.0.98)
Installed from:    Ubuntu Packages

Konqueror in KDE 4.1rc1 does not display Hebrew UTF-8 characters over SSH properly.

Local machine: Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE 4.1rc1 and UTF-8 locale.
Remote machine: Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE 4.5.9 and UTF-8 locale on the same LAN (Level 1 router between the machines).

Konqueror displays UTF-8 filenames on the remote machine as gibberish. It displays local UTF-8 filenames just fine.
Comment 1 Dotan Cohen 2008-07-27 21:50:58 UTC
Created attachment 26442 [details]
Screenshot illustrating problem
Comment 2 Dotan Cohen 2008-07-27 21:52:18 UTC
Although the problem is similar to Bug 165400, that bug shows question marks instead of gibberish for the filenames. So I do not believe that the two bugs are related.
Comment 3 Maksim Orlovich 2008-07-27 22:05:32 UTC
You may need to install the plugin that lets you change the remote encoding, though I don't know if kio-fish handles that..
Comment 4 Dotan Cohen 2008-11-10 19:03:53 UTC
I can confirm that this bug is still present in KDE 4.1.1 even when SSHing into localhost.
Comment 5 Dotan Cohen 2008-11-10 19:32:38 UTC
Created attachment 28474 [details]
Screenshot showing Konqueror SSHing into localhost

Konqueror seems to assume ISO-8859-1 for all remote connections. As every Linux distro that I have tested in the past three years defaults to UTF-8 for every locale, Konqueror should either:
1) Assume UTF-8
2) Assume that whatever is used locally (check system locale) is used remotely.
3) Query the remote server for locale (simply run "locale" upon connecting via SSH). This is probably not possible for FTP connections.
Comment 6 Nick Shaforostoff 2008-11-10 19:34:38 UTC
http://youonlylivetwice.info/konq-fish.png

this is konqueror trunk (i didn't make any changes to the code). i use utf8 locale
Comment 7 Dotan Cohen 2008-11-10 22:21:56 UTC
@Nick: could you try the same thing, but instead of using the @localhost address use your IP address (you can find this in ifconfig). Thanks.
Comment 8 Dotan Cohen 2008-11-28 21:17:07 UTC
Thanks, it works as expected now. Great job!