Version: (using KDE KDE 3.1.2)
Installed from: Gentoo Packages
This bug is mainly about the German translation, but it might apply to all other languages which have special characters (French, Spanish, etc.).
At some places there are German umlauts used as menu and/or button shortcuts. Eg. in Konqueror:
The KDE style-guide is written for the English language, or better said the
German translation doesn't follow it.
Who says that "most" German users don't use German keyboards? (Okay: most
programmers don't but most programmers don't use the German translation either.) What
about the lots of KDE languages that don't use ASCII characters at all? (Just think of the
Asian and RTL languages.)
Apart from that, I just have to point out that it is almost impossible for most teams (given
their manpower) to get those shortcuts in an orderly and usable state (even with Dr.
Clash). We'd need something much more automated to achieve this.
Therefore, I'd suggest to send a short note to kde-i18n-doc about this (also for inclusion
into the Translation HOWTO if Kevin thinks it fits). But at the moment I tend to close this
one with a "won't fix". Sorry.
Hmmm... Freudian Error -- I wanted to write "some" ;-)
And for some reason did I take out the paragraph excluding non-latin languages
from the proposal... When you use such a system you most certainly use a
correct keyboard, else you can't use any shortcuts at all. (Though I think I
remember some screenshots of whatever system it was where you had latin
shortcuts in brackets after the non-latin text.)
Whatever, the shortcut management in KDE is AFAIK broken by design (because
you re-use the strings and never know where you're shortcuts will go and where
you'll get dups). But taking out the umlauts is something which could improve the
matter in the near future...
If you tend to close this bug, please use "REMIND" so that I might reopen it in
some months or so ;-)
Can't promise to take out umlauts in the "near future" but will post a recommendation to
avoid them as much as possible.
BTW, scheck in kdesdk besides doing capitalization (only useful for originals)
and key conflict checking also attempts to auto-suggest accelerators, thanks to
Coolo. If this is useful, I can easily make this a separate mode so you don't
get all the noise from capitalization stuff...
Yesterday I made dr.klash use these auto hints. Now you press F12 and get a list of
changes you need to apply to your translations :)
The topic of umlauts (I noticed that even on a german keyboard &
Validation added as a wishlist to KBabel (#60267).