Version: (using KDE KDE 3.1.1a)
Installed from: Gentoo Packages
1. create new top-level folder called "test"
2. create a new subfolder called "new" inside "test". kmail creates a directory Mail/.test.directory to hold it
3. restart kmail, and it crashes
4. rm -rf .test.directory/new/
5. restart kmail, and it does not crash
I guess kmail is confusing the .test.directory holding directory for a maildir mailbox because it has a subdirectory called "new"
KMFolderDir::reload(void) seems to be the one picked .test.directory as Maildir folder.
The crash is then because the error tries to update a status bar that isn't there yet.
Subject: Re: New: kmail crashes with a folder called "new"
Thanks for the bug report. Will be fixed in KMail 1.5.3.