I've just built kwin from the master branch in order to check out the new desktop-grid effect, whose reimplementation recently closed lots of bugs on this issue tracker. Unfortunately, there are a ton of bugs which make this reimplementation pretty much impossible to use, which would be a real shame if it would make it like this into 5.25. The issues/bugs can be observed on both X11 and Wayland.
This or at least some of it could be a problem with my build (see additional information below), but KWin built fine, so I'm not sure if it indeed is. Apologies if this is caused by a build-misconfiguration on my end and if this bug report invalid.
Here's a short demonstration video:
And here's the list of the issues I've encountered after 5 minutes of use:
1. The opening and closing animation is jittering like crazy. This is especially noticable when no windows are shown or all windows are minimized.
2. The gap between desktops can't be configured anymore and it now always shows a gap of several pixels, which is very annoying when the desktops are aligned in a grid, and not linearly.
3. The animation when moving windows on the grid is broken and it always uses the first desktop as the window's origin instead of its current/previous desktop.
4. Windows can't be moved onto or from a different screen anymore, meaning that windows can only moved onto different desktops on the same screen.
5. When moving windows, the next click will be swallowed, so in order to go back to one of the desktops after moving a window, you need to click twice.
6. The window-layout (previously called present-windows) in the desktop-grid effect is broken when "closest" is selected, and it immediately re-orders windows during/after the desktop-grid opening animation.
7. There is no indication anymore which desktop is active. Previously, this was done by dimming the non-active desktops a bit.
8. Middle-clicking a window doesn't do anything anymore.
9. The settings of the previous implementation were partly kept and partly lost.
Linux/KDE Plasma: Arch Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.94.0
Qt Version: 5.15.4
- KWin built from 09ba8729fc12 (current master) using the modified PKGBUILD of the Arch repos
- kdecoration built from 4123ec8c1993 (current master) using the modified PKGBUILD of the Arch repos
- plasma-wayland-protocols built from 26fb07b9f8d3 (current master) using the modified PKGBUILD of the Arch repos
- the remaining dependencies were all from the official Arch repos
Desktop Grid effect does not work on neon unstable too.
> And here's the list of the issues I've encountered after 5 minutes of use:
I'm afraid we need individual bug reports for all these issues. Reporting a ton of things in a single "grab bag" bugzilla ticket doesn't really work. Can you break this up into individual ones? Thanks!
With individual bugs, we can start to work on them.
Absolutely, will do in a bit. Since I wasn't 100% sure whether it was an issue with my build, I put it all into one list first.