Bug 441136 - encoding changes when replying, displaying wrong special character (in french)
Summary: encoding changes when replying, displaying wrong special character (in french)
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: kmail2
Classification: Applications
Component: composer (show other bugs)
Version: unspecified
Platform: Other Linux
: NOR normal (vote)
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: kdepim bugs
URL:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2021-08-18 17:54 UTC by Peer Frank
Modified: 2021-08-20 08:11 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:
Latest Commit:
Version Fixed In:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Peer Frank 2021-08-18 17:54:54 UTC
SUMMARY
encoding changes when replying, wrong special character (in french)


STEPS TO REPRODUCE
encoding set to "auto"
receiving message with french special character displayed correctly
e.g. être, payé, société 
replying to message "R"

OBSERVED RESULT
in reply message:
être, payé, Société

EXPECTED RESULT
same special character as in recieved message

SOFTWARE/OS VERSIONS

Linux 5.13.0-1-default
Tumbleweed 20210710
KDE Plasma Version: 5.22.3 
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.83.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Comment 1 Peer Frank 2021-08-20 07:45:51 UTC
new details:
I wrote a test mail to myself using é è ê û ô à ...
in the reply these special french character are perfectly quoted.

The problematic messages come from gmail accounts (message OK, but french character lost in the reply). They have a heavy header and I just compared the charset lines which are slightly different: 

gmail: 
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

kmail:
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

No idea if this is the explication.

Also setting encoding to UTF-8 manually (Options/Encoding/Unicode/UTF-8) does not fix the reply.
And there are no french character problems in the reply with non-gmail messages.
Comment 2 Peer Frank 2021-08-20 08:11:17 UTC
the problem did not occur on another installation: 

de-selecting 
Settings/Configure KMail/Composer/Charset/Keep original charset when replying... 

fixed the problem.