I wish krunner could convert some units from the petroleum industry.
1. oil barrels (unit of volume). X barrels = X*5.6146 cubic feet.
The standard acronym is bbl.
2. Darcy and milidarcy (unit of permeability).
X darcys = X*9.869233e-13 m^2.
The standard acronym is d and md (milidarcys are more common), but since this abbreviation is taken by days, Da and mDa are also fine.
I would like to work on this feature, it seems simple to implement.
I'm completely new to the community, could I get some help?
Hi, João, you might want to check out our Getting Started guide , you can browse the relevant source code files in , they are split into categories like units of volume, temperature, power, etc.
Patches you can upload to , enjoy and welcome aboard! ;)
As it happens, my very first patch was for this repo, and Kai helped me (Bug 379171)! I can help you.
First, set up your development environment per https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved/development#Set_up_your_development_environment (or https://community.kde.org/Guidelines_and_HOWTOs/Build_from_source if you are already somewhat familiar with source control and software development workflows). Check out https://cgit.kde.org/kunitconversion.git and try to compile it.
The proposed oil barrel unit would make sense to do in volume.cpp. For Darcies and Milidarcies, we don't have a permeability-related category, so perhaps you could create permeability.h and permeability.cpp, following the pattern of the other ones.
Don't hesitate to reach out if you get stuck or need a hand!
First of all, thanks for all the support. It really helped me feel more comfortable here.
Finally, I managed to get my development enviroment running, and could compile kunitconversion. Still, I have a question, can I run it apart of Krunner or do I have to compile the entire Krunner?
Thanks in advance
Since it's a shared library, all you have to do is install your compiled version and KRunner will pick it up after being killed and restarted. You have two options:
1. Install it to /usr and overwrite the system version of the kunitconversion shared library. If you do this, you'll probably want to reinstall the distro-provided version after you're done testing.
2. Install it to a different location and adjust some things to make KRunner preferentially find your custom-compiled version. If you opt to do this. Probably Kai can be of more assistance than I can.
I finally managed to compile and execute Krunner.
I'll start working on the feature.
I implemented the first part of the request on, added the OilBarrel unit.
The second part of the project brings some questions, the SI unit for permeability is SquareMeters, which is a Area type of unit. I implemented pemearbility.h and pemearbility.cpp based on the patterns of the other files. I declared Darcy and Mili-Darcys as units (Since Da are already used by eletric voltage, I called it Darcy) and they can convert to each other.
My questions now are:
Is there a way to establish a connection between Darcy and SquareMeters?
After I implemented permeability.cpp, I added it to CMakeLists.txt, but I can't test my changes, how can I link it to the rest of the library?
Sorry for the double post.
This is what I got so far:
Git commit b2419e57eeea5cd98b3bfb42c3032b421633bf39 by Nate Graham, on behalf of João Netto.
Committed on 06/11/2018 at 21:11.
Pushed by ngraham into branch 'master'.
Updated with petroleum industry units
Added a new volume unity Oil Barrels and a new permeability class that handles Darcy and MiliDarcys.
Reviewers: ngraham, broulik, #frameworks
Reviewed By: ngraham
Subscribers: ngraham, kde-frameworks-devel
Differential Revision: https://phabricator.kde.org/D16684
M +1 -0 README.md
M +1 -0 src/CMakeLists.txt
M +2 -0 src/converter.cpp
A +63 -0 src/permeability.cpp [License: LGPL (v2+)]
A +36 -0 src/permeability_p.h [License: LGPL (v2+)]
M +13 -2 src/unit.h
M +10 -0 src/volume.cpp