Currently using KDE4, If I insert a USB stick:
1. I get a popup window showing me the available devices with possible actions.
2. The window is resizable as with all other widgets on the task bar.
3. If I select one of the available actions ie "Open with File Manager", Dolphin will open showing the currrent contents of the device.
Currently using KDE5, If I insert a USB stick:
1. I only get an icon on the task bar and I must select the icon to get a popup window with the possible actions.
2. The window isn't resizable whic is the same for all other widget in the task bar.
3. If I select one of the available actions ie "Open with File Manager", I get a message "unable to mount device". So I figured out the following:
A. Select the check mark on the right side to mount the device.
B. Select the available action ie "Open with File Manager" to open Dolphin.
How can I get KDE5 to act like KDE4?
Steps to Reproduce:
The same issue happens on Arch linux as well.
Current Gentoo setup info:
Gentoo ~amd64 Testing
KDE Apps 15.04.3
KDE Frameworks 5.11.0
KDE Plasma 5 5.3.2
CI7-4770 and CI7-4790
8 GB ram
Same thing happens with Fedora 22. Why is it UNCONFIRMED?
This issue happens on all three computer that have KDE5 installed.
I want to confirm this issue with Plasma 5.5.
Also, probably related problem. Sometimes, after notification popped, I can not open the menu by simply clicking on the icon. When it happens I have to click first on Battery and Brightness icon (for example) to "unfreeze" Device notification.
The original issue continues with:
KDE Apps 15.12.3
KDE Apps 16.04.0
Clicking the icon is at least some form of workaround.
Thanks for the hint, for some time there I was only able to mount via udisksctl on the command line.
Also Gentoo here, same problem.
Issue is probably simply that KDE4 checked for the device to be mounted when clicking on "View with file manager" (or whatever the C locale string is), and mounted the device before opening e. g. Dolphin, and KDE5 does not, so that one has to click that icon on the right before. Afterwards, it works, so probably, the error message simply displays something wrong (as one actually can mount some removable media).
Interestingly, when I open Dolphin and click on the newly inserted USB stick, it's mounted and I see it's contents.
For me works now fine after:
$ kcmshell5 componentchooser
and set temporally another File Manager, and save it
then set Dolphin back, and save it.
after that works fine in Device Notifier :)
Upps sorry, I add additional information
plasma 5.7.95 (5,8 beta)
#1 has been fixed for ages
#2 is Bug 332512
#3 has been fixed for ages
Marking as a dupe of Bug 332512.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 332512 ***