I was studying color theory this evening, and I wanted to experiment again with the Artistic Color Selector. But , after don't understanding it at all , I thought this one might be broken ( 2.8.3 testing, compiled source ). After a bit of research about it, I saw that indeed the feature is broken.
I know it's not a feature used by a lot of testers, it's probably broken since long time. The bug concerns the Luminance/Value/Lightness cells/slot who can't appear ; and so makes the whole selector obsolete.
To reproduce :
* Open Krita, and display the docker : ( Setting > Docker > Artistic Color Selector )
* Reset preferences of the docker ( on the 'Pref' drop down button, press 'reset to default', and on Reset, 'Reset Everything' ). The default is a HSY wheel, with : 9 light pieces, 12 hue pieces, 7 saturation rings.
* the 9 light piece promised are not displayed. Setting the Light Piece to 4 or 20 doesn't change anything, and HLS, HSV etc... got similar issue.
To see how it should look , I had to find on internet ( Animtim blog ! thx ) a screenshot from 2.4 :
Same on Wolthera's blog : https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/7nh7N_rEw8logstqrdCPzkKceK_VpEr0eyh4fXijlZ7CBLWIpuI0sDI27BE-WuV6AzPBmiwN8BJy75ryBdNMn0SEs6Wq2ksXu0Rjw5_DFCbUH8Uph2Dk9DIgIg
* If you resize and look closely, on the top-left corner, a red outline of 1px width is here.
* If you set in Pref the LightPiece to 1 , you can see a horizontal top bar slider, tinted with red to black gradient ( not usable ).
Important observations updates :
* The bug happens only when the docker is in 'floating' mode. When 'Artistic Color Selector' is docked within other docks , it works fine, as expected, and I can understand how to use it.
hm, there _is_ code that changes something in the color selector when the docker is made floating...
Git commit b5f296f56412fe4d31d0ff10a09dc2203d296e8d by Boudewijn Rempt.
Committed on 02/06/2014 at 09:37.
Pushed by rempt into branch 'master'.
Only the left position of the light strip really works, and we tried
to use the top position when the docker was made floating. Just remove
this bit of adaptive smartness -- it doesn't make sense to move the strip
around all the time.
M +0 -21 krita/plugins/extensions/dockers/artisticcolorselector/artisticcolorselector_dock.cpp
M +0 -2 krita/plugins/extensions/dockers/artisticcolorselector/artisticcolorselector_dock.h
M +11 -47 krita/plugins/extensions/dockers/artisticcolorselector/kis_color_selector.cpp
M +0 -4 krita/plugins/extensions/dockers/artisticcolorselector/kis_color_selector.h
Thank you Boud !