Bug 329285 - Date for the holiday Ascension is incorrect.
Summary: Date for the holiday Ascension is incorrect.
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: kdepimlibs
Classification: Unclassified
Component: kholidays (show other bugs)
Version: 4.11.4
Platform: unspecified Linux
: NOR minor (vote)
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: John Layt
URL:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2013-12-27 17:41 UTC by jmeberlein
Modified: 2014-06-21 13:47 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Latest Commit:
Version Fixed In: 4.12.1


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description jmeberlein 2013-12-27 17:41:55 UTC
The Ascension is celebrated on the 40th day of Easter.  This is counting from Easter itself as the first day of Easter.  Thus, the holiday is celebrated on the 39th day after Easter, not the 40th day after like it currently gives.  It should be on a Thursday, not a Friday.

On a similar note, "Trinity" (assuming it refers to Trinity Sunday), should be on the Sunday after Pentecost, not some random Thursday right before it.

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Pull up any calendar region with the Ascension and Trinity included.  I'm getting this problem in the United States calendar.
2. Go to May 2013.
Actual Results:  
Ascension is on May 10th, Trinity is on May 16th.

Expected Results:  
Ascension should be on May 9th, Trinity should be on May 26th
Comment 1 Allen Winter 2014-01-04 15:48:01 UTC
Ascension
=========
looking through all the holidays files, I see some have Ascension as 39 days after Easter,  some as 40 days after Easter and some as 42 days after Easter.

The holidays files for the US, Namibia and Portugal have the 40 days after Easter. 
The holidays files for San Marino, New Zealand and Italy have the 42 days after Easter.

Wikipedia's entry for Ascension http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feast_of_the_Ascension would indicate that those 6 holidays files need to be fixed for Ascension.

Trinity Sunday
===========
Wikipedia says that Trinity Sunday is 8 weeks after Easter Sunday.  Meaning 56 days after Easter.
However, the following holiday files say 46 days after Easter: Guatemala, Iceland, Portugal, Ukraine, US
Comment 2 Allen Winter 2014-01-04 16:23:01 UTC
Git commit f21aff96d910530632d4db918236e5bedae1bdc3 by Allen Winter.
Committed on 04/01/2014 at 16:20.
Pushed by winterz into branch 'KDE/4.12'.

Move Ascension Day to 39 days after Easter
Move Trinity Sunday to 8 weeks after Easter
FIXED-IN: 4.12.1

M  +1    -1    kholidays/holidays/plan1/holiday_gt_es
M  +1    -1    kholidays/holidays/plan1/holiday_is_is
M  +1    -1    kholidays/holidays/plan1/holiday_it_it
M  +1    -1    kholidays/holidays/plan1/holiday_na_en-gb
M  +1    -1    kholidays/holidays/plan1/holiday_nz_en-gb
M  +2    -2    kholidays/holidays/plan1/holiday_pt_pt
M  +2    -2    kholidays/holidays/plan1/holiday_us_en-us
M  +1    -1    kholidays/holidays/plan2/holiday_gt_es
M  +1    -1    kholidays/holidays/plan2/holiday_is_is
M  +1    -1    kholidays/holidays/plan2/holiday_it_it
M  +1    -1    kholidays/holidays/plan2/holiday_na_en-gb
M  +1    -1    kholidays/holidays/plan2/holiday_nz_en-gb
M  +2    -2    kholidays/holidays/plan2/holiday_pt_pt
M  +1    -1    kholidays/holidays/plan2/holiday_sm_it
M  +2    -2    kholidays/holidays/plan2/holiday_us_en-us
M  +10   -10   kholidays/tests/holiday_xx_xx_Old

http://commits.kde.org/kdepimlibs/f21aff96d910530632d4db918236e5bedae1bdc3
Comment 3 Luigi Toscano 2014-06-21 12:44:52 UTC
Please note that the bulk correction could introduce other issues. In Italy for example Ascension has been moved to the next Sunday (so 42 days is actually correct).
Comment 4 Luigi Toscano 2014-06-21 12:48:42 UTC
The same for other countries: the English page of Wikipedia says:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feast_of_the_Ascension#Sunday_observance

The Italian one also mentions Spain and Portugal:
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascensione_di_Ges%C3%B9#Data_della_celebrazione

I suggest to revert this commit and investigate more.
Comment 5 jmeberlein 2014-06-21 13:15:37 UTC
The Ascension is traditionally on the Thursday.  It's only some parts of
the world (such as Canada, England, Wales, and most of the US) that move it
to Sunday.  But if we have to pick a single day to put it on for a
calendar, I would pick the traditional date of 39 days after Easter.

This is actually the page you want for figuring out when it is for a
particular country (at least to Roman Catholics).  If the Ascension is
listed under a country's heading, it's on Thursday (39 days).  Otherwise,
it gets moved to the 7th Sunday of Easter (42 days).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_day_of_obligation


On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 7:48 AM, Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano@tiscali.it>
wrote:

> https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=329285
>
> --- Comment #4 from Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano@tiscali.it> ---
> The same for other countries: the English page of Wikipedia says:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feast_of_the_Ascension#Sunday_observance
>
> The Italian one also mentions Spain and Portugal:
>
> http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascensione_di_Ges%C3%B9#Data_della_celebrazione
>
> I suggest to revert this commit and investigate more.
>
> --
> You are receiving this mail because:
> You reported the bug.
>
Comment 6 jmeberlein 2014-06-21 13:16:34 UTC
Particularly because I've only ever heard of Catholics moving it, not any
Protestant denominations.


On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 8:15 AM, Justin Eberlein <jmeberlein@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The Ascension is traditionally on the Thursday.  It's only some parts of
> the world (such as Canada, England, Wales, and most of the US) that move it
> to Sunday.  But if we have to pick a single day to put it on for a
> calendar, I would pick the traditional date of 39 days after Easter.
>
> This is actually the page you want for figuring out when it is for a
> particular country (at least to Roman Catholics).  If the Ascension is
> listed under a country's heading, it's on Thursday (39 days).  Otherwise,
> it gets moved to the 7th Sunday of Easter (42 days).
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_day_of_obligation
>
>
> On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 7:48 AM, Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano@tiscali.it>
> wrote:
>
>> https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=329285
>>
>> --- Comment #4 from Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano@tiscali.it> ---
>> The same for other countries: the English page of Wikipedia says:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feast_of_the_Ascension#Sunday_observance
>>
>> The Italian one also mentions Spain and Portugal:
>>
>> http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascensione_di_Ges%C3%B9#Data_della_celebrazione
>>
>> I suggest to revert this commit and investigate more.
>>
>> --
>> You are receiving this mail because:
>> You reported the bug.
>>
>
>
Comment 7 Luigi Toscano 2014-06-21 13:31:10 UTC
(In reply to comment #5)
> The Ascension is traditionally on the Thursday.  It's only some parts of
> the world (such as Canada, England, Wales, and most of the US) that move it
> to Sunday.  But if we have to pick a single day to put it on for a
> calendar, I would pick the traditional date of 39 days after Easter.

When you say "pick a single day" you mean for the entire country?

(In reply to comment #6)
> Particularly because I've only ever heard of Catholics moving it, not any
> Protestant denominations.

So this mean creating two separate entries. Or maybe three for Orthodox church.
Comment 8 jmeberlein 2014-06-21 13:41:51 UTC
I mean if it's in the holiday files, we need a single day to put it on.
 And the most universally accepted date for the Ascension is the Thursday.
 But at any rate, it's a somewhat pointless discussion, since all the
holiday files are getting reorganized anyway.


On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 8:31 AM, Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano@tiscali.it>
wrote:

> https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=329285
>
> --- Comment #7 from Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano@tiscali.it> ---
> (In reply to comment #5)
> > The Ascension is traditionally on the Thursday.  It's only some parts of
> > the world (such as Canada, England, Wales, and most of the US) that move
> it
> > to Sunday.  But if we have to pick a single day to put it on for a
> > calendar, I would pick the traditional date of 39 days after Easter.
>
> When you say "pick a single day" you mean for the entire country?
>
> (In reply to comment #6)
> > Particularly because I've only ever heard of Catholics moving it, not any
> > Protestant denominations.
>
> So this mean creating two separate entries. Or maybe three for Orthodox
> church.
>
> --
> You are receiving this mail because:
> You reported the bug.
>
Comment 9 Luigi Toscano 2014-06-21 13:47:34 UTC
(In reply to comment #8)
> I mean if it's in the holiday files, we need a single day to put it on.
>  And the most universally accepted date for the Ascension is the Thursday.
Not in Italy. So should I simply revert it to the previous date? Maybe yes.
Or maybe it's better to keep the two relevant dates in the file. For sure keeping only the current date is not correct in the Italian context, and maybe in other countries too, but that's not my business it seems.

> But at any rate, it's a somewhat pointless discussion, since all the
> holiday files are getting reorganized anyway.
It's not pointless because I spotted this "bug" when updating the Italian holiday file after the reorganization.

I agree that this bug is not the proper place to discuss it. We can move the discussion to the kdepim list.