Login to KDE and tried to execute any GUI application then it freezes.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Login to KDE
2. Launch any application (e.g. Dolphin)
3. Wait 5 sec.
* The whole screen hangs, only mouse cursur is movable.
* It still able to switch to diffrent terminals
* kwin --replace and any GUI application will hang if executed after this hang until the original kwin is killed
* application launches normally
System: Ubuntu 12.10 x86 32bit with ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports enabled
1. switch to TTY terminal and login
2. send SIGKILL signal to terminate kwin (SIGTERM is not sufficient)
pkill --signal SIGKILL kwin
3. run another terminal emulator in TTY terminal
env DISPLAY=:0 konsole
4. Switch back to X terminal, execute following command in the Konsole window
5. redo 1~4 if the problem persists.
* It seems that this issue is not related to graphic hardware...
* ppa-purge the kubuntu-ppa/backports to downgrade everything back to quantal-updates seems to solve this issue too.
Created attachment 78222 [details]
Screenshot when hang...
Created attachment 78223 [details]
Another hang screenshot
Created attachment 78224 [details]
Created attachment 78225 [details]
Created attachment 78226 [details]
Created attachment 78227 [details]
kwriteconfig --file kwinrc --group Style --key PluginLib kwin3_oxygen
The backtrace ends in XIM, accessed by the (Graphicsview) from the aurorae decoration, so please check (see above) whether this happens with the oxygen decoration as well (and where the backtrace ends)
The bug might be in Qt or XIM in this case.
Created attachment 78228 [details]
Another backtrace on my real machine.
Same backtrace, please try the oxygen decoration.
You can btw pipe the gdb output into a file using tee:
gdb 2>&1 | tee gdb.log
Created attachment 78229 [details]
I can't reproduce the issue with the oxygen decoration.
Anyway thanks for the debugging tips ;)
I quite prefer Plastik decoration since its more like Windows UI.
If you can, please dump an ASCII backtrace as suggested above for further investigations. Copytyping symbols from a screenshot is less than ideal ;-)
Created attachment 78230 [details]
kwin gdb backtrace
Here you are ;)
Were other aurorae decorations affected in 4.9?
(It smells like a conflict between XIM and QGraphicsView or maybe just a XIM bug or a package mismatch due to the ppa)
See same bug for Emacs on RedHat (from 2008)
(You could try one of the plenty dekorator themes imitating windows)
(In reply to comment #15)
> Were other aurorae decorations affected in 4.9?
How can I tell the decoration uses aurorae or not?
I currently tried another aurorae-like decoration and it also triggers the issue...
If you got an aurorae theme from kde-look (GHNS, "get more decorations") - ie. NOT a "smaragd" or "dekorator" theme nor QtCurve, Bespin or Skulpture.
I don't think there's atm another stock aurorae decoration than plastik (since 4.10, was not aurorae in 4.9)
I decided to close this bug because I can't reproduce it lately, It may probably be a random issue from Ubuntu/Kubuntu.