Bug 312001 - Amarok may skip files when copying into collection with some tracks already present and not overwriting
Summary: Amarok may skip files when copying into collection with some tracks already p...
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: amarok
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Collections/Local (show other bugs)
Version: 2.6.0
Platform: Other Linux
: NOR normal (vote)
Target Milestone: 2.7
Assignee: Amarok Developers
URL:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2012-12-20 18:35 UTC by Dmitry Torokhov
Modified: 2012-12-22 21:03 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Latest Commit:
Version Fixed In: 2.7


Attachments
Patch to ignore ERR_FILE_ALREADY_EXIST when copying files (2.09 KB, patch)
2012-12-20 18:40 UTC, Dmitry Torokhov
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Dmitry Torokhov 2012-12-20 18:35:51 UTC
When selecting a tree of music files and selecting "Copy to Collection" - "Local Collection" from the context menu, and choosing copying tracks without overwriting already existing files, the transfer job will end prematurely if some tracks already exist at destination.



Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Import a directory
2. Remove several files that has just been imported from the local collection
3. Try importing the same directory again
Actual Results:  
Some of the deleted files will still be missing in the local collection.

Expected Results:  
Local collection should contain all tracks present in the original directory.

The TransferJob class in src/core-impl/collections/db/sql/SqlCollectionLocation.cpp is inherited from KCompositeJob; transfers are done via KIO::file_copy() and are registered as sub-jobs of TransferJob. The default policy of KCompositeJob is to terminate it early whenever a sub-job fails, so when copy job fails because file is already there we terminate the entire transfer instead of continuing.

One possible fix is overriding slotResult() method and handle (ignore) KIO::ERR_FILE_ALREADY_EXIST errors.
Comment 1 Dmitry Torokhov 2012-12-20 18:40:51 UTC
Created attachment 75943 [details]
Patch to ignore ERR_FILE_ALREADY_EXIST when copying files

This patch allows me to copy missing files into local collection skipping ones that are already present and not stopping too early.
Comment 2 Myriam Schweingruber 2012-12-21 15:42:44 UTC
(In reply to comment #1)
> Created attachment 75943 [details]
> Patch to ignore ERR_FILE_ALREADY_EXIST when copying files
> 
> This patch allows me to copy missing files into local collection skipping
> ones that are already present and not stopping too early.

Thank you for the patch, but please submit it to http://reviewboard.kde.org (you will need an identity on http://identity.kde.org for that).
Comment 3 Dmitry Torokhov 2012-12-21 20:50:26 UTC
On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 03:42:44PM +0000, Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=312001
> 
> --- Comment #2 from Myriam Schweingruber <myriam@kde.org> ---
> (In reply to comment #1)
> > Created attachment 75943 [details]
> > Patch to ignore ERR_FILE_ALREADY_EXIST when copying files
> > 
> > This patch allows me to copy missing files into local collection skipping
> > ones that are already present and not stopping too early.
> 
> Thank you for the patch, but please submit it to http://reviewboard.kde.org
> (you will need an identity on http://identity.kde.org for that).

Really?? A maintainer can't simply evaluate patch and take it from there?
I do not really plan to start developing KDE at this time...

OK, I am a glutton for punishment, I have created a new identity and
tried uploading the patch. But this god awful reviewboard insists that
what I have is not really a patch (even though I tried feeding it both
unified and context version). Do I really need to have git tree to work
with reviewboard?

Why can't projects use sane venues to work with patches (AKA mailing
lists)? Bleh :(
Comment 4 Rex Dieter 2012-12-21 21:03:43 UTC
I'd be willing to help get this posted to reviewboard over the holidays, it does seem like an obvious improvement.
Comment 5 Dmitry Torokhov 2012-12-21 21:23:04 UTC
On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 09:03:43PM +0000, Rex Dieter wrote:
> https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=312001
> 
> Rex Dieter <rdieter@math.unl.edu> changed:
> 
>            What    |Removed                     |Added
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>              Status|UNCONFIRMED                 |CONFIRMED
>      Ever confirmed|0                           |1
> 
> --- Comment #4 from Rex Dieter <rdieter@math.unl.edu> ---
> I'd be willing to help get this posted to reviewboard over the holidays, it
> does seem like an obvious improvement.

Thanks Rex, I am just grumpy.

https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/107841/
Comment 6 Myriam Schweingruber 2012-12-22 10:24:40 UTC
(In reply to comment #3)
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 03:42:44PM +0000, Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> > https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=312001
> > 
> > --- Comment #2 from Myriam Schweingruber <myriam@kde.org> ---
> > (In reply to comment #1)
> > > Created attachment 75943 [details]
> > > Patch to ignore ERR_FILE_ALREADY_EXIST when copying files
> > > 
> > > This patch allows me to copy missing files into local collection skipping
> > > ones that are already present and not stopping too early.
> > 
> > Thank you for the patch, but please submit it to http://reviewboard.kde.org
> > (you will need an identity on http://identity.kde.org for that).
> 
> Really?? A maintainer can't simply evaluate patch and take it from there?
> I do not really plan to start developing KDE at this time...
> 
> OK, I am a glutton for punishment, I have created a new identity and
> tried uploading the patch. But this god awful reviewboard insists that
> what I have is not really a patch (even though I tried feeding it both
> unified and context version). Do I really need to have git tree to work
> with reviewboard?
> 
> Why can't projects use sane venues to work with patches (AKA mailing
> lists)? Bleh :(

Well, reviewboard expects you to just upload a diff, if you remove the text at the start of your patch file this should work. Add the comment to the description instead, or mark it as a comment in the patch body.
Comment 7 Matěj Laitl 2012-12-22 21:03:44 UTC
Git commit 32c9f7ebf8ca7abf6d5397d9d74cadaa8c676ec2 by Matěj Laitl, on behalf of Dmitry Torokhov.
Committed on 22/12/2012 at 20:15.
Pushed by laitl into branch 'master'.

SqlCollectionLocation: do not stop transfer when some files are already at destination

This happens when you want to import a big tree of tracks at once and some
tracks are already present in the destination collection. In this case
TransferJob's copy subjob fails with KIO::ERR_FILE_ALEADY_EXIST and causes
entire transfer to complete prematurely.

BUGFIXES:
 * Fix existing files preventing complete transfer of tracks to collection
REVIEW: 107841
FIXED-IN: 2.7

M  +1    -0    ChangeLog
M  +10   -1    src/core-impl/collections/db/sql/SqlCollectionLocation.cpp
M  +1    -0    src/core-impl/collections/db/sql/SqlCollectionLocation.h

http://commits.kde.org/amarok/32c9f7ebf8ca7abf6d5397d9d74cadaa8c676ec2