Bug 300083 - Kalarm not working after update from F15 to Fedora 16
Summary: Kalarm not working after update from F15 to Fedora 16
Alias: None
Product: kalarm
Classification: Applications
Component: general (show other bugs)
Version: KDE 4
Platform: Fedora RPMs Linux
: NOR normal
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: David Jarvie
Depends on:
Reported: 2012-05-15 18:43 UTC by pauloedgarcastro
Modified: 2020-08-17 23:41 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:
Latest Commit:
Version Fixed In: 4.8.4


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description pauloedgarcastro 2012-05-15 18:43:27 UTC
Kalarm is not working, e.g. it seems impossible to cerate new alarms as before.
The only active buttons in the Toolbar are the 'Show Calendars' and 'Find'.

Also, the previous alarms that werer configured are gone.

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.Open kalarm
2. Try to create  a new alarm
Actual Results:  
Can't create new alarms.

Expected Results:  
Be able to create alarms
Comment 1 David Jarvie 2012-05-16 08:28:22 UTC
Can you please say what versions of KAlarm and KDE you are running.
Comment 2 pauloedgarcastro 2012-05-16 20:03:36 UTC
Sure, I guess I got caried away with the bug form that I forgot the obvious...

Version 2.8.3-ak
Using KDE Development Platform 4.8.3 (4.8.3)
Comment 3 David Jarvie 2012-05-18 13:09:58 UTC
When you first ran this version of KAlarm, did you see any error messages? It should have attempted to import your existing alarm configuration, and if an error occurred, should have output a message.
Comment 4 pauloedgarcastro 2012-05-18 18:12:54 UTC
When I first ran it post upgrade I wasn't displayed with any error messages that might indicate there was a problem.

Upon reading your comment though, I checked my .xsession-errors file and found some interesting like what I'm about to paste here.

Can this be related with the fact that by default I don't run akonadi ?

---- Paste .xsession-errors ------
kalarm(22289)/libakonadi Akonadi::SessionPrivate::socketError: Socket error occurred: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name" 
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
search paths:  ("/usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin", "/usr/lib64/ccache", "/usr/local/bin", "/usr/bin", "/bin", "/usr/games", "/usr/local/sbin", "/usr/sbi
n", "/sbin", "/home/pecastro/bin", "/usr/sbin", "/usr/local/sbin", "/usr/local/libexec", "/usr/libexec", "/opt/mysql/libexec", "/opt/local/lib
/mysql5/bin", "/opt/mysql/sbin") 
Found mysql_install_db:  "/usr/bin/mysql_install_db" 
Found mysqlcheck:  "/usr/bin/mysqlcheck" 
Failed to use database "akonadi" 
Database error: "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/home/pecastro/.local/share/akonadi/socket-brutalix/mysql.socket' (2) QMY
SQL: Unable to connect" 
Trying to create database now... 
QSqlDatabasePrivate::removeDatabase: connection 'initConnection' is still in use, all queries will cease to work.
Database error: Cannot open database.
Last driver error: "QMYSQL: Unable to connect"
Last database error: "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/home/pecastro/.local/share/akonadi/socket-brutalix/mysql.socket' (2
QSqlQuery::exec: database not open
Unable to open database "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/home/pecastro/.local/share/akonadi/socket-brutalix/mysql.socket'
 (2) QMYSQL: Unable to connect"
0: akonadiserver(_Z11akBacktracev+0x35) [0x450105]
1: akonadiserver() [0x4503cc]
2: /lib64/libc.so.6() [0x3381836300]
3: /lib64/libc.so.6(gsignal+0x35) [0x3381836285]
4: /lib64/libc.so.6(abort+0x17b) [0x3381837b9b]
5: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(_Z17qt_message_output9QtMsgTypePKc+0x74) [0x338cc71464]
6: akonadiserver(_ZN15FileDebugStream9writeDataEPKcx+0x92) [0x4523a2]
7: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(_ZN9QIODevice5writeEPKcx+0xaf) [0x338cd0cd4f]
8: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4() [0x338cd18232]
9: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(_ZN11QTextStreamD1Ev+0x39) [0x338cd210c9]
10: akonadiserver(_ZN7Akonadi13AkonadiServerC1EP7QObject+0x539) [0x454b29]
11: akonadiserver(_ZN7Akonadi13AkonadiServer8instanceEv+0x37) [0x455ce7]
12: akonadiserver(main+0x272) [0x448de2]
13: /lib64/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xed) [0x338182169d]
14: akonadiserver() [0x449711]
Comment 5 David Jarvie 2012-06-04 21:51:41 UTC
It looks as if akonadi fails to run successfully. Akonadi should start automatically when KAlarm starts, but for some reason is failing. It looks from your .xsession-errors output that it's something to do with mysqld failing, but I'm not entirely sure what the problem is. Do you have mysqld installed?

KAlarm needs to put out an error message when this happens, so that the user knows that there is a recognised problem. I'll add this in.
Comment 6 David Jarvie 2012-06-04 23:21:01 UTC
KAlarm will now disable the main window and display a message if Akonadi can't be started. This will be in KDE 4.8.5 (if that is released), or failing that, KDE 4.9.0.

Git commits 37458cc29f531186d7453ef955b7de330d02ecad (4.8 branch), 19610d334206a88d11ea1aaa577d02e5b8869804 (master).

Closing this bug, since KAlarm starts Akonadi when possible, but the failure of Akonadi to run in this case is outside KAlarm's control.
Comment 7 David Jarvie 2012-06-10 23:36:53 UTC
This fix has made it into KDE 4.8.4 after all.