Version: git-latest (using Devel)
Currently every message in a group chat window triggers a notification which leads to a very crowded notification area and literally spams it with irrelevant messages.
Notifications for group chat messages should be only shown if a message is highlighted (see bug#291703).
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Join a group chat
2. Wait a moment until some messages by other chat member are written
You're being spammed by notifications – one notification per message in the groupchat
I'd expect to only receive notifications for messages directed towards me in a group chat, which requires on the other hand detection of messages directed towards myself. See also bug#291703
It's worth noting that we have the following notifications already
- New conversation (i.e first message in a chat)
- New message in active chat (i.e you're in the window)
- New message in inactive chat (i.e in a different tab)
- New highlighted message (yes, it exists but it's very naive (uses your current nickname, and doesn't highlight in the actual view.))
From the sounds of it we need to treat the last 3 differently for 1-1, groups chats and rooms? Is that too many notifications? discuss.
Also: when someone writes a message in a groupchat, the desktop notification says "JohnDoe has sent you a message".
Depending on how the notifications for groupchats will be re-done, this should be
"JohnDoe has written a message in groupchat FooBar"
or something similar.
*** Bug 304414 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
I agree with this proposal. In multi-user conferences with lot of users you don't need to get message to other users notifications. There is no way to do it at the same time:
- turn off non-highlited messages notifications in MUC and
- turn on highlited messages notifications in MUC and
- turn on private messages notifications.
Turning off "Incomming message" notification affects your private AND non-highlighted messages, so you don't know about private even if "Highlighted messages" notification is turned on.
In short, with any settings in any case, you either don't know about private messages or will be spammed by groupchat notifications.
This was fixed by leonhandbrake in