Version: (using KDE 4.1.2)
Installed from: Mandriva RPMs
Note, this feature does is not actually only for Konqueror but for All applications using KDE technology:
We have four options for text and icons on toolbars.
1) Icons only
2) Text alongside icons
3) Text under icons
4) Text only
There has be a discussion about making defaults as "Text alongside icons" mode for toolbars. This takes space, even it would be good in some situations and on others the text-under -would be better and some place the "icons only" is best. Especially if using netbook size screen (1024x600).
I have done mockup about fifth mode. What would allow user to select what icons should have text with them and with does not.
Problem is that it works best with "Text alongside icons" mode when the "Text under icons" mode would look funnier (all icons should have text then?).
The mockup says it all.
There has be a discussion in these blogs:
Created attachment 28570 [details]
First mockup with konqueror
Created attachment 28571 [details]
Second mockup with Kmail
Kmail UI difference with menu hided and toolbars having text only on most used icons.
It is not a bad idea.
*** Bug 94706 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** Bug 201348 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
That would be *so* great!Germans tend to use very long descriptive button texts...
Created attachment 36604 [details]
Allow hiding icon text alongside icon for each action individually
Requires KDE trunk (4.4) and Qt master (4.6)
*** This bug has been confirmed by popular vote. ***
Christoph: this is http://reviewboard.kde.org/r/1847/, no?
Are you committing for 4.4?
I did not commit this for 4.4.
* After changing the length of the check box text, I noticed a possible layout bug in Qt, which makes it crop the label text. I didn't find the time yet to investigate or work around this.
* I was waiting for a reply from Qt issue 262399.
* Using the same trick described at my blog, you can change actions priorities manually, so the patch is not that urgent.
* I did not like the work-flow; changing multiple icons was cumbersome. What should probably be done is the right click menu having an "Hide Text" check box, or the dialog reworked completely.
* The dialog should provide a feedback which icons have hidden text, for example using a text in parenthesis.
I will leave the patch/review request open for anyone wanting to use it, until the issues are resolved (hopefully for 4.5).
SVN commit 1118843 by cfeck:
Allow to hide text for specific icons on toolbars
I worked around the QFormLayout bug by using QGridLayout, otherwise
the patch is unchanged from the reviewed one.
M +87 -5 dialogs/kedittoolbar.cpp
M +25 -0 dialogs/kedittoolbar_p.h
M +2 -1 xmlgui/kpartgui.dtd
M +10 -1 xmlgui/kxmlgui.xsd
WebSVN link: http://websvn.kde.org/?view=rev&revision=1118843