Version: (using KDE Devel)
Installed from: Compiled sources
Many cameras (especially in compact area) has support for voice memos. Playing of those in Digikam isn't simple. Most important issue is separation of those memos from photo. You can OR view photo OR listen. It should be possible to do it at the same time.
My proposition how system should look:
- don't display sound files in album view.
- try to match sound files and pictures, it shouldn't be hard, they have usually the same name, only different extension
- when there is matching file display in thumbnail small icon of eg. loudspeaker
- it would be perfect if by clicking on that small icon voice memo could be played
- add support for playing of memos from Comments/Tags panel. Eg display loudspeaker icon in that panel, greyed out if audio file not available or active when available. Play file when clicked. I looked and cameras are usually supporting very limited length of those memos 10-30 secs (please comment if you find counterexample). I think more advanced controls like play, pause, rewind, etc. are not required. Maybe volume could be added and stop (could be done by second click on Play button). Note: due to layout of panels support for voice memos could take one whole row, it would be possible to put there more than one button
- add support for playing of voice memos in Preview and Slideshow modes (without need of opening panel). Playing in IE could be done only in panel
- tie audio and image files: when moving picture file from one album to another move also audio file
Please add comments :)
I think that could be nice example how Phonon works - bringing audio to completely different media.
I next stage nice feature could be added: record memos in Digikam (with similar 10-30 second limits) and use them not only for viewing in Digikam but also to create audio/video slideshows in mpeg4.
Pause and replay functions are both desirable. Volume control is not, it's easily taken care of by the mixer applet. A possible arrangement is "Play" and "Pause" buttons. Play always starts the audio from the start of the clip. "Pause" becomes "Restart" (to continue playing from the paused point) when the clip is paused.
That's one pretty standard way to do it. There are surely many others.
I really like this idea! (not because i got *exactly* same just yesterday ;-)
I have pocket camera what allows 10seconds voice memo recording with image what was taken. File name is same, exept it is wav file.
I would like to see that small icon on thumbnail, mayby have option to see it always, on mouse hover or only on sidebar in info panel.
10s is so short time so it can be listened again and again but 30s starts being too long for to repeat whole voice to hear what was told in the end, so it would need a position slider, what just "brakes" whole thing of easy thing.
And original author suggested that moving image+sound file together was brilliant.
And i would like to see even option to add these files to HTML/DVD archive plugin. So someone could add option there so when user opens picture, he can play that sound too. It would bring more "interacivity" for photos. Like if user takes nice photos on a beach, he can record that sound world (if camera mic is good, my is) and listen that again when seeing that picture.
This could be implemented along the lines of http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=121310
i.e. files with the same basename are treated as a compound object and the user can define which member gets displayed/played back when the compound object is clicked.
Small overlay icons could indicate what types of members are contained in a compound object.
*** Bug 140344 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***