Bug 101057 - Default window height is too small
Summary: Default window height is too small
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME
Alias: None
Product: kbruch
Classification: Applications
Component: general (show other bugs)
Version: unspecified
Platform: Debian testing Linux
: NOR normal (vote)
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Sebastian Stein
URL:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2005-03-07 21:47 UTC by Ronny Standtke
Modified: 2006-04-27 11:15 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Latest Commit:
Version Fixed In:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Ronny Standtke 2005-03-07 21:47:15 UTC
Version:           3.3 (using KDE KDE 3.3.2)
Installed from:    Debian testing/unstable Packages

The default window height of kbruch is too small. Directly after starting up the left menu is not completely visible and must be scrolled. It would be much nicer if the layout would fit the window size so that the left menu must not be scrolled.

Greetings & Thank you

Ronny Standtke
Comment 1 Sebastian Stein 2005-03-07 22:32:51 UTC
I can't confirm this, maybe it depends on the language settings. However, I will check after I have updated to KDE 3.4 if this problems exists.
Comment 2 Ronny Standtke 2005-03-09 07:33:29 UTC
Please dont mark a bug as resolved just because you dont see it. Could you please give more information about your setup (KDE version, distribution, ...) so that I have a chance to verify your statement?

You can verify my setup very easily. You have all information in the bug report. It doesnt matter what language I choose. The bug is always present.
Comment 3 Sebastian Stein 2005-03-09 18:10:35 UTC
Ronny Standtke <Ronny.Standtke@gmx.net> [050309 08:11]:
>            What    |Removed                     |Added
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>              Status|RESOLVED                    |UNCONFIRMED
>          Resolution|WORKSFORME                  |
> 
> 
> 
> ------- Additional Comments From Ronny.Standtke gmx net  2005-03-09 07:33 -------
> Please dont mark a bug as resolved just because you dont see it. Could you
> please give more information about your setup (KDE version, distribution,
> ...) so that I have a chance to verify your statement?


You are a funny guy, should not I try to verify your statement or are you
going to fix the bug?
 
> You can verify my setup very easily. You have all information in the bug
> report. It doesnt matter what language I choose. The bug is always
> present.


I checked again, with the default KDE settings and it works fine. Then I
changed my default font size to 20 and now there is a very small scrolling
bar. However, the height of the main window is not set by kbruch, but by the
KDE framework, see the following code taken from mainqtwidget.cpp:

#if (KDE_VERSION_MINOR>=3) && (KDE_VERSION_MAJOR>=3)
#else
   resize(QSize(QMAX(toolBar()->sizeHint().width(), sizeHint().width()),
sizeHint().height()));
#endif 

So I don't see how to fix this bug within KBruch. Maybe you came over this
problem in other apps as well, then it might be a general KDE bug.

Furthermore you can resize the window and on next startup the window will
have this size again. Does this problem still exists if you delete
~/.kde/share/config/kbruchrc before starting kbruch?

So either provide a fix or explain with which settings exactly to reproduce
this problem. Or consider to close this bug, but this is up to you now.


Sebastian
Comment 4 Ronny Standtke 2005-03-10 11:23:06 UTC
> You are a funny guy

I am not. Seriously. Ask my wife for details.

> should not I try to verify your statement

Yes, you should. But you marked it as resolved without providing enough information to cross check your claims.

> or are you going to fix the bug?

It is unimportant who is doing the fix. The bug fix itself is relevant.

> I checked again, with the default KDE settings and it works fine.

Could you please break the secret what KDE version / distribution / ... you are using?

> Maybe you came over this problem in other apps as well

No.

> So I don't see how to fix this bug within KBruch.

Who is providing the "sizeHint().height()" to the KDE framework?

> Furthermore you can resize the window and on next startup the window will have this size again.

No, even after resizing the window to reasonable proportions on next startup it comes up too wide and with too little height.

> Does this problem still exists if you delete ~/.kde/share/config/kbruchrc before starting kbruch?

Yes. Even if I manually edit ~/.kde/share/config/kbruchrc to set a larger height kbruch comes up with wrong proportions.

> So either provide a fix or explain with which settings exactly to reproduce this problem.

What information are you missing?

> Or consider to close this bug, but this is up to you now.

I will close this bug when it works for me.
Comment 5 Sebastian Stein 2005-03-10 14:48:26 UTC
Ronny Standtke <Ronny.Standtke@gmx.net> [050310 12:10]:
> > I checked again, with the default KDE settings and it works fine.
> 
> Could you please break the secret what KDE version / distribution / ...
> you are using?


Slackware-current with KDE 3.3.2

> > So I don't see how to fix this bug within KBruch.
> 
> Who is providing the "sizeHint().height()" to the KDE framework?


KMainWindow <- ... <- QWidget 

see: http://doc.trolltech.com/3.3/qwidget.html#sizeHint-prop

> > Furthermore you can resize the window and on next startup the window
> > will have this size again.
> 
> No, even after resizing the window to reasonable proportions on next
> startup it comes up too wide and with too little height.
> 
> > Does this problem still exists if you delete
> > ~/.kde/share/config/kbruchrc before starting kbruch?
> 
> Yes. Even if I manually edit ~/.kde/share/config/kbruchrc to set a larger
> height kbruch comes up with wrong proportions.

 
I really can not confirm this problem and I think other users would have
reported all this already, if it is really a general problem. I checked
again with the original KDE 3.3.2 packages, deleted the file, reloaded the
app and it looks great. If I change the size and reload the app, the size is
also reloaded. Everything works as expected.

There is another problem. You reported the bug for KDE 3.3.2, but there is
currently no new release planned for KDE 3.3.2, because KDE 3.4 will be out
in some days, see:
http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-3.3-release-plan.html
http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-3.4-release-plan.html

That means even if we would find a solution for this bug (if it is really a
bug), the fix would never be shipped. Maybe Debian adds some own patches to
the applications or whatever, but I don't really see how I should fix a bug
I can't reproduce. So I will stop now investigating this bug, because I have
not unlimited time.

Sebastian
Comment 6 Ronny Standtke 2005-04-09 09:29:51 UTC
I installed Kubuntu (with KDE-3.4) and can confirm that this issue is resolved. I am now sure that this is a Debian specific issue. Thank you for your patience.