|Summary:||Kmail turns messages in blank with unknown sender and date|
|Product:||[Applications] kmail||Reporter:||Zé <mmodem00>|
|Component:||index||Assignee:||kdepim bugs <kdepim-bugs>|
|Latest Commit:||Version Fixed In:|
Description Zé 2005-02-15 16:53:11 UTC
Version: 1.7.2 (using KDE 3.3.2, Mandrake Linux Cooker i586 - Cooker) Compiler: gcc version 3.4.3 (Mandrakelinux 10.2 3.4.3-3mdk) OS: Linux (i686) release 184.108.40.206-24mdk Kmail didnt crash, neither happened nothing strange, but this last time i run kmail and clicked in some messages that were already displayed well in prevous sessions, kmail is turning many (not all) good messages in empty/blank emails with no sender and date. I dont see how is possible to reproduce this bug, neither is there any backtrace... But this is very strange and is damaging many emails
Comment 1 Till Adam 2005-02-15 17:00:58 UTC
On Tuesday 15 February 2005 16:53, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote: > Kmail didnt crash, neither happened nothing strange, but this last time i > run kmail and clicked in some messages that were already displayed well in > prevous sessions, kmail is turning many (not all) good messages in > empty/blank emails with no sender and date. > > I dont see how is possible to reproduce this bug, neither is there any > backtrace... > > But this is very strange and is damaging many emails Sounds like index corruption. Shut down KMail, and remove the index files for that particular directory or mbox.
Comment 2 Cornelius Claussen 2005-03-01 19:46:16 UTC
if it is not a index corruption, check the ownership and permissions of the mail files. You should have both read and write permissions to all mail files.
Comment 3 Zé 2005-11-03 08:22:15 UTC
Of course the permissions are read/write but in some sites like for example the emails from mandrivausers.org appear with unknown date and sender
Comment 4 Bram Schoenmakers 2006-11-29 16:50:55 UTC
*** Bug 138071 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 5 Frank Riese 2006-11-30 11:51:27 UTC
I have had the same problem for some time now and lost a few messages myself. I'm not able to read those messages in any other email client like mutt either. I do have read and write permissions on everything in my "Mail/" directory and this bug occurs _while_ running KMail. In my case it has nothing to do with permissions as I do not change them while running KMail, I'm pretty sure no other program changes those permissions and I don't see why KMail should. As far as I can tell this bug occurs in the following situation: 1) I move around a large bunch of messages from one folder to another. 2) This is where it occured to me last time: I change the structure of the KMail's "Local Folders", i.e. I create a folder, move messages from another folder to the newly created one and delete the old one. I'm not having any problems with KMail when I just read a few messages and delete them afterwards. This problem seems to occur only when moving around messages is involved. But there is something interesting about those messages that turn blank: they are not just all the same. Information about those blank emails seems to be preserved: icons in front of each message showing if that email was encrypted, if I wrote an answer to that email, if it had an attachment, etc. remain even after that message has turned blank. Some have suggested that it might be a problem with the filesystem. I presonally cannot confirm this as I'm running KMail on an ext2 and ext3 and fsck does not complain about such a thing. A lot of my friends have run into this problem lately and I'm surprised to see that this bug is still unconfirmed. Please, try the two steps above with a large bunch of emails and I hope some developer will finally be able to confirm this behaviour and eventually fix it.
Comment 6 Pablo Alvarado 2007-03-02 19:31:51 UTC
I have just updated my Debian "Testing" and got a new KMail 1.9.5: all new messages are directly modified with unknown date and sender and are blanked. The described behaviour above also occurred to me, and appeared as I created a filter and tried to apply it to the whole mail tree. After that, the message weren't moved correctly and about 3000 messages were "infected" with that behaviour that if you selected them, automatically were marked with unknown date and sender and also were blanked.