Bug 260717

Summary: symlink target is not readable in status bar when dolphin window is too small/divided
Product: dolphin Reporter: Janet <bugzilla>
Component: bars: statusAssignee: Dolphin Bug Assignee <dolphin-bugs-null>
Status: RESOLVED FIXED    
Severity: wishlist CC: fabiodurso, frank78ac, kdebugs.99.urgwurz
Priority: NOR    
Version: 16.12.2   
Target Milestone: ---   
Platform: Debian unstable   
OS: Linux   
Latest Commit: Version Fixed In: 4.12.0

Description Janet 2010-12-19 16:32:19 UTC
Version:           unspecified (using KDE 4.5.4) 
OS:                Linux

By now the target location of a symlink is only shown in the status bar of dolphin. But when the dolphin window is too small, e.g. when it is divided, this information isn't readable because the status bar in that case is not wide enough. I don't know why, but it's always then when I want to look up the target of a symlink ;). Therefore I'd really appreciate an alternative/additional way to display the symlink target. Maybe this could optionally be included in the file tooltip. I also could imagine a tooltip for the status bar that comes up on hovering over partly hidden information... 

I know I can call the properties dialog of a file/folder with a right click but I'd love to see it on the fly, at one glance, without further action needed.

Reproducible: Always




OS: Linux (i686) release 2.6.36-2.slh.1-aptosid-686
Compiler: cc
Comment 1 Peter Paulsen 2011-01-15 15:20:59 UTC
I love the idea of getting a status bar tooltip for the hidden content when the status bar is too narrow to show the whole information! And I agree, the tooltip and the information sidebar should offer to show the address of the symlink's origin.

Is this related to Bug 244417? I'm not quite sure what "preview of symlink" in that case is but it sounds like the information in the information sidebar and/or the information in the file's tooltip.
Comment 2 Janet 2012-08-04 14:02:51 UTC
For some file types the status bar information about the symlink is not visible, at least in narrative German, even if the window is not divided. I would need to go into maximized view to get the statusbar information... I admit I have the icon size slider plus the drive size information enabled - but I'd like to read the symlink information nonetheless ;).

Let's say I have a README file symlinked. In the statusbar I read: "README (Einfaches Textdokument, Verknüpfung mit /" - now comes the interesting part, the original location of the file, and that alas is truncated/invisible. To be honest I don't care about what file type it is and would love to get rid of that part of the information but a nice tooltip for the status bar with the full information would do ;).
Comment 3 Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) 2012-08-24 16:19:38 UTC
Resetting assignee to default as per bug #305719
Comment 4 Fabio D'Urso 2013-08-05 00:56:19 UTC
Closing the bug because, according to git history, the status bar tooltip has been implemented in KDE 4.9 (commit 213450d39704fc0154da5f0e45e4198af8239842)
Comment 5 Janet 2013-08-07 10:17:23 UTC
Sorry, I want to re-open this, because it is not solved in KDE SC 4.10.5. Indeed there is a tooltip for the statusbar but it does NOT show the symlink target which was the cause for this report.

When I just hover over the symlink the status bar shows the target which is not readable because of too less space/too long target path/too long German prefix "Verknüpfung mit". When the mouse leaves the symlink the status bar info vanishes so a tooltip is of no help. When I select the symlink the status bar information changes from target info to "xyz selected" and the tooltip shows the same. 

What we need is a status bar that shows the target of the symlink as tooltip even if the file is selected. Or a status bar that shows a tooltip on its own in case the infomation given is too long, without the need to hover over the *status bar* but only over the symlink.
Comment 6 Fabio D'Urso 2013-08-07 13:12:50 UTC
(In reply to comment #5)
> Sorry, I want to re-open this, because it is not solved in KDE SC 4.10.5.
> Indeed there is a tooltip for the statusbar but it does NOT show the symlink
> target which was the cause for this report.
Yes, sorry for closing it, you are right.

> What we need is a status bar that shows the target of the symlink as tooltip
> even if the file is selected. Or a status bar that shows a tooltip on its
> own in case the infomation given is too long, without the need to hover over
> the *status bar* but only over the symlink.
I've just posted a review request ( https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/111934/ ) to have full file information stay in the status bar if only one file/folder is selected.
The change means that the status bar's text for a selected file/folder is the same as what you would see on hover.

This might be acceptable or not:
 - bad thing: the status text doesn't change on click and, in particular, the word "selected" in no longer shown anywhere;
 - good thing: the user still sees some feedback for the selection because the selected file becomes highlighted.
It works for me. Opinions?
Comment 7 Janet 2013-08-08 21:19:45 UTC
(In reply to comment #6)

> The change means that the status bar's text for a selected file/folder is the same as what you would see on hover.

And therefore also the status bar tooltip. Sounds very good for me.

>  - bad thing: the status text doesn't change on click and, in particular,
> the word "selected" in no longer shown anywhere;

Sounds also good for me. Do we really need a "selected"? As you say, it is highlighted.
Comment 8 Fabio D'Urso 2013-08-18 20:21:00 UTC
Git commit ba56ec86502ffb4598a7b8e11d4a18388d49f43f by Fabio D'Urso.
Committed on 15/08/2013 at 16:56.
Pushed by fabiod into branch 'master'.

dolphin: Show full file info in statusbar when only one file is selected

The purpose of this change is to give the user a chance to see hover
file information if it doesn't fit in the status bar, by allowing to
click on the file and hover on the status bar.

As it's now possible to have status bar texts starting with "<qt>",
DolphinPart::updateStatusBar() must escape strings. Otherwise,
filenames such as "<qt>Tes<font color=red>t" would be rendered as HTML
data in konqueror's status bar when selected.
FIXED-IN: 4.12.0
REVIEW: 111934

M  +2    -1    dolphin/src/dolphinpart.cpp
M  +2    -2    dolphin/src/views/dolphinview.cpp

http://commits.kde.org/kde-baseapps/ba56ec86502ffb4598a7b8e11d4a18388d49f43f
Comment 9 Fabio D'Urso 2013-08-18 20:21:01 UTC
Git commit 8941745b569d3ee3b69c25de7558d46ed7a8cf7c by Fabio D'Urso.
Committed on 15/08/2013 at 17:04.
Pushed by fabiod into branch 'master'.

dolphin: Show full KFileItem statusbar text with hovered folders too

This patch changes the status bar text dolphin shows when a folder is
hovered. It now shows full folder info, eg:
  "mydir (folder, symlink to /opt/mydir")
instead of:
  "mydir"
This is consistent with dolphin's behavior on regular files, and
DolphinPart already does that (DolphinPart::slotRequestItemInfo has no
special cases for folders).
REVIEW: 112106

M  +1    -2    dolphin/src/dolphinviewcontainer.cpp

http://commits.kde.org/kde-baseapps/8941745b569d3ee3b69c25de7558d46ed7a8cf7c