Bug 189150

Summary: Dolphin is unable to rename legacy files with iso encoding on UTF filesystem
Product: [Applications] dolphin Reporter: Arne Schmitz <arne.schmitz>
Component: generalAssignee: Peter Penz <peter.penz19>
Severity: normal CC: frank78ac
Priority: NOR    
Version: 16.12.2   
Target Milestone: ---   
Platform: unspecified   
OS: Linux   
Latest Commit: Version Fixed In:
Sentry Crash Report:

Description Arne Schmitz 2009-04-08 20:50:28 UTC
Version:           1.2.1 (using 4.2.2 (KDE 4.2.2) "release 111", KDE:KDE4:Factory:Desktop / openSUSE_11.1)
Compiler:          gcc
OS:                Linux (i686) release

What I did:

I have a couple of legacy files, whose filenames are still in ios-8859-1 encoding. They contain umlauts such as ä (0xE4), which are displayed as <?> in Dolphin. I tried to rename the files with Dolphin by pressing F2 and correcting the ä to the new encoding (UTF-8) on my system.

What I expected:

I expected Dolphin to silently rename the file.

What I got instead:

Dolphin complained: "File 'foo�' not found, where '�' is instead of the 'ä'. I guess there is an additional encoding process here, which fails.
Comment 1 Arne Schmitz 2009-04-08 20:50:49 UTC
I have to add: renaming with mv in bash works fine.
Comment 2 Frank Reininghaus 2009-04-08 22:57:11 UTC
Thanks for the bug report! This is probably related to/a duplicate of bug 165044.
Comment 3 Peter Penz 2009-04-30 12:34:52 UTC

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 165044 ***
Comment 4 Ignacio Serantes 2009-08-22 15:26:30 UTC
Thiago has left the building and we look for another solutions. Please, vote for the next bug: